Wine 8.20 Closes 13 Year Old Bug To Register URL Protocol Handlers On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 8.20 Closes 13 Year Old Bug To Register URL Protocol Handlers On Linux

Phoronix: Wine 8.20 Closes 13 Year Old Bug To Register URL Protocol Handlers On Linux

Wine 8.20 is out today and it takes care of quite a vintage bug report... A feature request from 2010 to be able to register URL protocol handlers under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In this wine version have more work with dxmusic according changes max payne must be have music but i cant confirm that in my case for now

update: yeah max payne music works

however steam also works but stay using now xubuntu 24.04 development build and cause system freeze, this dont happen on xubuntu 23.04

Last edited by pinguinpc; 11 November 2023, 05:04 AM.

Comment

You forgot to link the release notes.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
        You forgot to link the release notes.

https://www.winehq.org/announce/8.20
        Whoops thanks, fixed.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Always great to hear longstanding Wine bugs getting fixed, not so great to hear it can take over a decade.

Comment

The first thing I do when I create a new prefix is disable winemenubuilder.exe. They even added a warning to get you to not do that, but the last thing I want is .desktop files littered everywhere for wine stuff.

Comment

Only 13 years to fix this bug?

Not bad, could have been worse, like 35 years.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                You say that sarcastically, but a lot of people cannot understand the magnitude of a project. Some are bigger than others. Some people think that fixing bugs are the result of good developers, the complexity and the know-around for Linux and Windows behavior (as a reference) needs to be understood more or less perfectly (to get a good translation). And not everyone will be a "Windows expert" on a technical level.

One of the reason ReactOS is so damn impressive and takes a hell of a lot of time. But ReactOS has one thing you cannot take away from the project, they actually fixed core issues in Windows that even Microsoft took such patches and implemented it themselves. Developing takes time (especially good projects with good developers and good structure), been an issue since dawn of time and even then it's no guarantee for the project to succeed it's goals.

Comment

A throwback to reminisce how the Ubuntu desktop looked back at the time of the bug report was made...
                  My desktop never looked that fuzzy, even when a 1024x768 output was displayed on a 1920X1080 display.
                  And my current desktop doesn't look that different. Which is good. In some ways, the WIMP interface has been remarkably stable. Details about whether the corners are rounded or not, and where the 'close window' button is located are that: details. Doesn't stop them from being infuriating when they are changed, though.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Couldn't be more than 30 years.

Fun fact, Wine saw its first release on the 4th of July, 1993. I don't remember any celebrations in this regard in July this year. Might have missed them.

Wine is commercial open source. They fix bugs which are relevant for their paying customers. You're welcome to fix what you want to fix.

Without CodeWeavers Wine would be dead, abandoned or simply not exist.

In fact Linux nowadays is ~99% commercial. It stopped being a hobby open source project in the late 90s.
                    Last edited by avis; 11 November 2023, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X