Servo Browser Engine Receives Funding To Work On HTML <table> Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    I hope Firefox receives funding and Servo is finally feature complete to be merged into same codebase or use it in a mainstream way at least.
    Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
    Mozilla gets tons of funding but barely funds Firefox. Mozilla is a borderline scam company these days.
    Firefox or Mozilla is not the project owner anymore , so their funding is not related to Servo Project AFAIK Its governance of the project was transferred to the Linux Foundation at the end of 2020.

Comment

I hope Firefox receives funding and Servo is finally feature complete to be merged into same codebase or use it in a mainstream way at least.
      Too late, SerenityOS (aka LibWeb/Ladybird) already stole all the funding.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post

Do you have a source for that? Just found https://assets.mozilla.net/annualrep...final-1010.pdf and it looks like 1/3 are admin costs and 2/3 go into software development.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

Do you have a source for that? Just found https://assets.mozilla.net/annualrep...final-1010.pdf and it looks like 1/3 are admin costs and 2/3 go into software development.
          "The Ladybird web browser takes flight" https://serenityos.org/happy/5th/

Comment

"The Ladybird web browser takes flight" https://serenityos.org/happy/5th/
            Ok, not from Mozilla then, but a respectable ~1/2 of what Mozilla spend on programming. I hope it isn't just for one year but sustainable funding.

Comment

Why? What's the reasoning behind it? Is it the next WebKit?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                Servo still exists as an active project? Or are a few people into necro-coding (resurrecting old code just to write more code for them)?
                it is quite active nowdays after Linux Foundation Europe has taken charge of it, specially couple of igalians are working on it

Comment

Why? What's the reasoning behind it? Is it the next WebKit?
                  Main developer (Andreas Kling) was a WebKit developer and is trying to recreate the Apple development model in SerenityOS, I simply doubt they'll ever reach a usable state and their projects seem to be a way to demonstrate how awesome they are, nothing else.

I do resent the whole thing because there are plenty of existing projects that we all use on a GNU/Linux system that get little or no attention, in terms of contributions and monetary funding.​

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    there was some talk in the past about migrating it to wgpu, which would be quite similar to how chrome does it, albiet much better potential performance. though that was just discussion, and no action.
                    Hmm, is webgpu even a usable thing? So far they only developed a new shading language because Apple don't liked SPIR V. After I read so much about it I lost trust to the people developing it.

I hope it will not end like the most of web local storage APIs. They don't wanted sqlite but now it is coming back with web assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post

Hmm, is webgpu even a usable thing? So far they only developed a new shading language because Apple don't liked SPIR V. After I read so much about it I lost trust to the people developing it.

I hope it will not end like the most of web local storage APIs. They don't wanted sqlite but now it is coming back with web assembly.
                      webgpu is pretty nice. the shading language itself im not super keen on, but it's fairly easy to work with and gives good perf when done via wgpu. naga, the shader translator wgpu uses, supports spirv, wgsl and glsl for injesting, meaning you can really (at least outside of a web context, havent tried webgpu in a browser itself) work with pretty much any shader language you want thanks to spirv. (I personally was playing a lot with rustgpu which compiles rust to spirv and it worked well.)

I think wgpu is quite usable from a library standpoint, a couple games and graphics engines now use it, and perf is nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X