Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 8.18 Brings Patch For An 8 Year Old Bug Report

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 8.18 Brings Patch For An 8 Year Old Bug Report

Released on Friday was Wine 8.18 as the newest bi-weekly development release of this open-source software to run Windows games and applications on Linux and other platforms. Now available is Wine-Staging 8.18 as the more experimental blend of Wine that integrates just shy of 500 extra patches atop Wine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Patch accumulating and resolving very old bugs is a symptom of bad project management.

I consider CodeWeavers structure isn't enough. No idea on what they waste the money, maybe upper management get big salaries.

496 patches seems a joke. 100? Too big but reasonable.

They could disguise situation the GNOME way, but that only would make situations worse.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Patch accumulating and resolving very old bugs is a symptom of bad project management.
      In the previous release there was a fix for a 20 years old bug.. my thought is that they priorities are related to certain kind of things rather than another, that they do not have enough dev to go ahead in a structured way that from the inception they goal was already bigger than them and so on..

They progress somehow, that's it

Comment

I consider CodeWeavers structure isn't enough. No idea on what they waste the money, maybe upper management get big salaries.

They could disguise situation the GNOME way, but that only would make situations worse.
        IIRC, the biggest issue with Wine is how conservative the maintainers are in regards to programming languages and coding standards which is why things like DXVK and vkd3d-proton live outside of Wine and why some patches can be in staging for so long. Where you see as bad project management, I see good project management. What I see is a symptom of not enough funding or manpower.

Granted, I'm not a Crossover user. $74 a year, $494 for life, is just too much for a custom Wine solution when, for free, I can go easy-mode by using GE or Lutirs provided Wine or Proton builds or slightly increase the difficulty and DIY either/or with TKG and then manage that with one of the umpteen Wine management tools.

This might sound kind of silly, but they start so many sentences with "But" and "And" on their website that I can't take them seriously. It isn't very professional. That's a lot of money to pay for unprofessionalism. I realize the irony of that statement coming from someone going by skeevy420. I give Michael a pass because he's a one man operation. They have a 52 person operation and they're currently hiring so they don't get that pass. They obviously have the money for an editor and/or proofreader. They don't have any excuse for bad grammar unless that's just their way of being a misfit rebel.

Since they have a "large" team and they're hiring, at least they don't seem to be wasting money on big executive bonuses.

Comment

But can it run iTunes yet?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Since they have a "large" team and they're hiring, at least they don't seem to be wasting money on big executive bonuses.
            Define large team. Codeweavers themselves is only a team of 45 counting everyone.

Microsoft Windows at Microsoft is over team of 1 thousand..

The reality that Wine even works somewhat is because of some serous corner cutting that shows as management of wine being conservative and the bug problem. Yes high mandated quality control on submit code is linked to lack of resources to be letting new bugs just be made. Just dealing with windows developer created bugs is a big enough headache for wine developers.

Comment

CrossOver has a meaning on macOS, where most of the sells probably are. Because there the OSS WINE is not that good (e.g. late support for ARM CPUs and for me personally the ability to run ancient 32bit Windows software). For Mac users the price is low (compared to the hardware and other software).

Comment

Originally posted by poncho524 View Post
                But can it run iTunes yet?
                Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.

Asking if application runs is kind of a very bad question to ask with wine. Yes itunes runs under wine as totally broken mess.

Yes itunes in wine makes the password-game look fun.

Comment

Granted, I'm not a Crossover user. $74 a year, $494 for life, is just too much for a custom Wine solution when, for free, I can go easy-mode by using GE or Lutirs provided Wine or Proton builds
                  What is wrong with you people?!

You criticise very small company that almost alone is trying create open-source Windows NOT emulator Sure, they have help from community plus from time to time from some Big Tech (in the past it was Google, now it is Valve and Collabora), but still - the only constant support for wine development from beginning - is CodeWeavers.

Without CodeWeavers there would be no wine, no DXVK, no Proton, probably no Lutris (without wine it would be manager for what? these a few Linux game ports?!)!!! So by taking wine "for free" in reality you are taking very hard work of plenty of people (and many of them was employed by CodeWeavers).

I was couple times CrossOver subscriber only to give CodeWeavers support as main wine contributors.

Comment

Or maybe they don't have enough manpower. Just because you think a fix for a bug is simple doesn't make it so. Wine is used by a ton of users and a huge selection of apps, and the worst part is getting subpar patches in that have potential to break other apps.

Most people don't give a shit and just want their app to work, but other people want their apps to keep working and not break because someone added a hack to get his stupid app to work while breaking his.

It's easy to downgrade DXVK or even use different versions since you just swap out a DLL or place it near the executable of the app/game, if you get a regression. Not so easy for Wine as a whole if you don't know what you're doing.

Tbh I'm already pissed off when Wine maintainers don't insta fix a regression even though they know what caused it, simply because the reason for the "fix" is motivated by their stupid sponsorship. Such regressions need to have the patches immediately reverted until it's properly fixed, not kept around.

It used to be close to 1000.
                    Last edited by Weasel; 15 October 2023, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X