Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6 Has New Role For "F10", Kate/KWrite Text-To-Speech & Smooth Scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    Arguably SID isn't a "rolling release" either.
    This! While it's general to all testing versions for non-rolling distros, sid in particular:
    • Has no concept of a hotfix (packages won't migrate any faster from experimental to sid even if they're security critical)
    • Has no security support (the Debian Security team only acts on release versions; sid and testing depend on the package maintainers)
    • May occasionally have broken deps from partial package uploads
    • Will gladly have pre-release software versions, at the maintainers' discretion (to be fair, Ubuntu/Debian will ship those on stable releases, and Mandriva used to do this back in the day)
    (There was a push for a proper rolling debian version, but IIRC the project was rejected when put on vote)

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    Don't use development software unless you're specifically helping test it or need to test it with your own software (and use the appropriate
    forums for reporting bugs, not Phoronix -unless for some reason Michael is reporting on such a bug - why I dunno... specific pre-release bugs usually never reach release). Developers already know this (or should). It will break! Often at the most inopportune time. If you recommend SID because "it works for you" and "never breaks" stop it! It's not an appropriate recommendation for the vast majority of desktop users who just want to get their work done.
    Also this! I recall a hairy moment in Arch when a very serious render-your-system-unbootable glibc/toolchain bug broke many systems that had the testing repos enabled, and the flak the relevant maintainer took for that from people whose main machine was down for the count .

On the flip side:
    • Many software devs/ISVs that should be testing their software on pre-releases (including Windows/OSX) don't bother doing it
    • In my own personal experience, Ubuntu betas have been pretty good to me (even on upgrade from an earlier release, after the first beta ISOs were published)

Comment

Can we have a Keyboard Revolution? Copy & Paste Keys, Increased Navigation Cluster, More Symbol Keys F13-F20, A dedicated key to close the window and a quit key to quit the application. Fallback keeb trackball so we dont need to constantly move our right hand back to the mouse and back.

I think we have made some great progress, here's a cool tool to concept keyboard layouts, just select [ Presets ] -> ANSI 104
      at the top to show the common keeb

Comment

Originally posted by silverhikari View Post

you might want to check out this as along with talking about F10 it also talks about how to setup SHIFT-F10
        Looking at the date of this article, it seems that somebody has tried to sort that out recently. I didn't know that. Thanks.

BTW, I already use a xdotool (not mentioned there) workaround for Shift+F10.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post

Looking at the date of this article, it seems that somebody has tried to sort that out recently. I didn't know that. Thanks.

BTW, I already use a xdotool (not mentioned there) workaround for Shift+F10.
          How is xdotool a workaround when Wayland is becoming the new default?

Comment

Originally posted by docontra View Post
            This! While it's general to all testing versions for non-rolling distros, sid in particular:
            • Has no concept of a hotfix (packages won't migrate any faster from experimental to sid even if they're security critical)
            • Has no security support (the Debian Security team only acts on release versions; sid and testing depend on the package maintainers)
            • May occasionally have broken deps from partial package uploads
            • Will gladly have pre-release software versions, at the maintainers' discretion (to be fair, Ubuntu/Debian will ship those on stable releases, and Mandriva used to do this back in the day)
            (There was a push for a proper rolling debian version, but IIRC the project was rejected when put on vote)
            Nope to 4 in unstable and no to 3 in testing. 4. is what experimental is for, and 3 what unstable is for.

The main thing that is really different between sid and a normal rolling release is stabilization periods, where they are preparing for the next stable release.
            Last edited by carewolf; 15 October 2023, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              How is xdotool a workaround when Wayland is becoming the new default?
              If of any use, I did look up xdotool and it reference these two as options under Wayland:

Generic command-line automation tool (no X!). Contribute to ReimuNotMoe/ydotool development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
              X