Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6 Has New Role For "F10", Kate/KWrite Text-To-Speech & Smooth Scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6 Has New Role For "F10", Kate/KWrite Text-To-Speech & Smooth Scrolling

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6 Has New Role For "F10", Kate/KWrite Text-To-Speech & Smooth Scrolling

It was another exciting week in the KDE Plasma 6 and KDE Frameworks 6 space with a number of notable new features being merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile basic SHIFT+F10, known from other DEs/OSs, still (for more than 20 years as seen here) non-functional in KDE.
    Last edited by NSLW; 14 October 2023, 07:31 AM.

Comment

I didn't see the promised Wayland experience on Plasma 6. I downloaded the latest KDE Neon unstable version and while Plasma 5 works somehow with some problems with NVIDIA, Plasma 6 crashed while login in Wayland.
      And today I tried to update the system, but also this didn't work, because somewhow the dependency resolve didn't work.

Comment

I think more than anything the one feature I want to see brought back to KDE/KWin is the "cube" desktop switching effect.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
          Meanwhile basic SHIFT+F10, known from other DEs/OSs, still (for more than 20 years as seen here) non-functional in KDE.
          you might want to check out this as along with talking about F10 it also talks about how to setup SHIFT-F10
          F10 for the Main Menu! We now have a new KStandardShortcut. With https://commits.kde.org/kconfig/782e43f8076e5f4a10111a6b4d2cc6b1741c9798...

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
            I didn't see the promised Wayland experience on Plasma 6. I downloaded the latest KDE Neon unstable version and while Plasma 5 works somehow with some problems with NVIDIA, Plasma 6 crashed while login in Wayland.
            And today I tried to update the system, but also this didn't work, because somewhow the dependency resolve didn't work.
            Gee. Think it might be... I dunno... unstable or something?

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Gee. Think it might be... I dunno... unstable or something?
              Well, Wayland NVIDIA crashes I kinda understand, but being unable to update the system? I've never heard this from Debian SID or rolling release distro where many people use them as a daily driver.

Comment

Well, Wayland NVIDIA crashes I kinda understand, but being unable to update the system? I've never heard this from Debian SID or rolling release distro where many people use them as a daily driver.
                Unstable.Anything can and likely will happen, including HCF. I have indeed seen SID completely self destruct itself.

Edit to add: Anyone using SID as a daily driver who's not purposely using it to test it or their own associated project's software with it, gets what they deserve when it does crap itself (and it will at some point).
                Last edited by stormcrow; 14 October 2023, 12:56 PM.

Comment

KDE Neon Unstable: "Featuring pre-release KDE software built the same day from new feature branches. Good for testing. There is no QA. Will contain many bugs.". This is not a rolling release, it's an unstable dev branch with random stuff submitted the night before by developers. It's not even beta or alpha, it's software in active development.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperchaotic View Post

KDE Neon Unstable: "Featuring pre-release KDE software built the same day from new feature branches. Good for testing. There is no QA. Will contain many bugs.". This is not a rolling release, it's an unstable dev branch with random stuff submitted the night before by developers. It's not even beta or alpha, it's software in active development.
                    Arguably SID isn't a "rolling release" either.

The unstable distribution is where active development of Debian occurs. Generally, this distribution is run by developers and those who like to live on the edge. It is recommended that users running unstable should subscribe to the debian-devel-announce mailing list to receive notifications of major changes, for example upgrades that may break.

The unstable distribution is always called sid.​
                    Don't use development software unless you're specifically helping test it or need to test it with your own software (and use the appropriate forums for reporting bugs, not Phoronix -unless for some reason Michael is reporting on such a bug - why I dunno... specific pre-release bugs usually never reach release). Developers already know this (or should). It will break! Often at the most inopportune time. If you recommend SID because "it works for you" and "never breaks" stop it! It's not an appropriate recommendation for the vast majority of desktop users who just want to get their work done.
                    Last edited by stormcrow; 14 October 2023, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X