Wine 8.18 Released WIth Continued Work On Wayland Window Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 8.18 Released WIth Continued Work On Wayland Window Management

Phoronix: Wine 8.18 Released WIth Continued Work On Wayland Window Management

Wine 8.18 is out as the newest bi-weekly development release of this open-source program for running Windows applications and games on Linux. Wine 8.18 is another step closer to Wine 9.0 stable that is due out in early 2024...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In my case virtual desktop works but steam still stay fucked

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post

Why do you need steam in the wine and what's the point of the virtual desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Why do you need steam in the wine and what's the point of the virtual desktop?
        Because have a many titles in steam and i testing wine dont proton

Respect virtual desktop is personal preference and some users need about how run in virtual desktop: in my experience normally runs more titles in virtual desktop than fullscreen using wine (i dont test proton)

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
          I do cuss sometimes but I don't quite understand why you used this wording in regard to Steam. OK, the app crashes. What's up with "stay fucked"? By whom? Why? Why are you so mad?

Steam for Windows has got a ton of issues under Wine: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...sion&iId=19444

You could simply use native Steam and run the games that you need via Proton.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I do cuss sometimes but I don't quite understand why you used this wording in regard to Steam. OK, the app crashes. What's up with "stay fucked"? By whom? Why? Why are you so mad?

Steam for Windows has got a ton of issues under Wine: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...sion&iId=19444

You could simply use native Steam and run the games that you need via Proton.
            Like comment to other user below you, i test wine dont proton

Respect actually wine steam state sadly stay fucked in my case (have various issues on wine as your said) but in before versions works for important in my case: open games and nothing more (actually on staging 8.16 still work)

Comment

I would almost say...THANKS KDE Plasma team!! that you decided to go Wayland all the way, forcing other applications development to start taking Wayland serious. Off course Nvidia is again the annoying kid in the class refusing to go along with the choice and making other peoples lives very stressfull.

Comment

Originally posted by shinger View Post
                I would almost say...THANKS KDE Plasma team!! that you decided to go Wayland all the way, forcing other applications development to start taking Wayland serious. Off course Nvidia is again the annoying kid in the class refusing to go along with the choice and making other peoples lives very stressfull.
                its funny, because of KDE, I actually dont care about wayland vs xwayland since xwayland apps dont look like trash now, half the time I cant tell a difference

Comment

Originally posted by shinger View Post
                  Nvidia has supported wayland forever. Their point of contention with the community was in regards to their push for eglstreams over dmabuf, not wayland in general. However even that isnt true anymore as their driver has supported dmabuf for years

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

Nvidia has supported wayland forever. Their point of contention with the community was in regards to their push for eglstreams over dmabuf, not wayland in general. However even that isnt true anymore as their driver has supported dmabuf for years
                    Maybe the words that i used were incorrectly used. Let me try again

"Off course Nvidia is again the annoying kid in the class refusing to fix their driver to go smooth with Wayland when using Wayland with KDE Plasma".

Because indeed they support Wayland with their drivers, but is it wise to use it? Like would you want to walk on a field that is a minefield? I mean yeah...you can walk, but there is a big chance you will hit one mine...(Yes..been there done that..only stress with Nvidia + Wayland because of bugs).
                    Last edited by shinger; 14 October 2023, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X