Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 1.0 RC2 Released With Fixes, Improved Rate Switching

Phoronix: PipeWire 1.0 RC2 Released With Fixes, Improved Rate Switching

Following last week's PipeWire 1.0 release candidate, today a second release candidate was published as part of the project's plan for reaching v1.0 before the end of the year for this widely-used Linux audio/video streams server that is a viable replacement to the likes of PulseAudio and JACK...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PipeWire is awesome. It's great to see it keep on improving!

Comment

Pipewire was the all-in-one solution that we needed. It was a big project, it has evolved to do more than it's initial scope and even become an essential project for the Linux ecosystem. Man the big 1.0 marks a good milestone for Linux indeed.

Comment

I wish there was a documented method for changing the frequency Hz for an output or a straight forward way to do it.

I need to change it due to my USB DAC, sound sounds terrible if I don't. But, every published method doesn't work anymore since the move to wireplumber or references multiple config files that no longer exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          I wish there was a documented method for changing the frequency Hz for an output or a straight forward way to do it.

I need to change it due to my USB DAC, sound sounds terrible if I don't. But, every published method doesn't work anymore since the move to wireplumber or references multiple config files that no longer exist.
          Do you need a fixed rate? The config file doesn't exist by default. You need to create it. I create mine as:

/etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/pipewire-local.conf
          ​
          With the following contents:

Code:
          context.properties = {
              default.clock.rate = 44100
              default.clock.allowed-rates = [ 48000 22050 32000 44100 96000 ]
          }​
          ​
          What that means is that if pipewire can't decide what rate to use, use 44100. Otherwise, allow it to switch between one of the allowed rates, which depends on what is currently playing audio. If you only want to allow one rate, use that everywhere. For 48khz, you would do:

Code:
          context.properties = {
              default.clock.rate = 48000
              default.clock.allowed-rates = [ 48000 ]
          }​
          ​​

Comment

What about per device rate?
            My headset shows 48kHz as the maximum in Windows while my surround system is 96kHz

Comment

And it's still broken with my ancient creative webcam/mic. It just warbles the sound when I record. The first thing I always have to do is `systemctl --user mask pipewire.socket pipewire.service` and force usage of pulseaudio.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                And it's still broken with my ancient creative webcam/mic. It just warbles the sound when I record. The first thing I always have to do is `systemctl --user mask pipewire.socket pipewire.service` and force usage of pulseaudio.
                Is there a bug report for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                  It's because pipewire tries to open the device in the highest bitdepth and your driver says it can do 32 bits but then produces garbage. Pulseaudio opens the device in 16 bits and that likely works.

It requires a kernel driver tweak for your hardware model. You can meanwhile work around it with a software tweak. To do this, force 16 bits on the camera node, see here: https://pipewire.pages.freedesktop.o...ode-properties You want `["audio.format"] = "S16LE"`.

Comment

As a nerd, I love the PipeWire logo!

Comment

Working...
                    X