Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PreSonus Studio One 6.5 Music Production Software Adds Wayland-Only Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Wayland is a display server protocol, successor of the X Window System..."

LOL ... wayland a successor to X11/Xorg, now that's funny.

I've tried these graphical front-ends, but always have just resorted using ffmpeg command line tools, far easier and produces far better control when avoiding compression/degradation of audio/video media.

Comment

I'm happy to see more commercial software seeing linux market as a important system to support, specially one that's knows enough to not waste resources on obsolesce.

Comment

Originally posted by rhysperry111 View Post

Just been working out the packaging side of Studio One because I'm interested in creating an AUR package for it. The deb just has a bunch of stuff in /opt (binary exec, some binary libs, and some assets), and then a few things in /usr (e.g. the XDG application launcher file).

It's proving to be a little hard as even though they include quite a few precompiled libraries in their /opt folder, they don't include all of the ones needed to run the applications and it seems that the ones it's looking for are older than what Arch has installed system wide (as it's probably tailored to Debian/Ubuntu). I've tried simply symlinking so that it thinks the old ones are there, but it's giving me some errors. Gonna contact support and see what they say.
        You will likely need to install old versions of the libraries side by side. Packages for this may already exist in Arch or AUR, I know it does for e.g. OpenSSL. If it is a more obscure library you may have to package it yourself.

As long as the library has different so-versions between the old and new versions (which it should if it is incompatible) different versions can be installed side by side.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

With all respect, I have a family member that is a professional musician for a living, he has been to plenty of different studios throughout his years and all of them use Macs. In his whole time of being on the road he literally came across 1 literally one person that used GNU Linux to do recordings and he was a hobbyist.

There are a lot of hobbyist musicians out there myself included that use GNU Linux for music making. For all the real professionals, those folks use Macs, with a few Windows users here and there.
          Well, there's also Bitwig Studio that produces a linux version (also available as flatpak!). It's surely not an hobbist's tool...
          If they created a linux version, it means that there's some market they cater to...

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

There is still a large amount of GNU Linux musicians out there that don't use pipewire, most are too busy not using it and are actually getting work done on their projects instead. I have probably spent 12 hours this weekend working on something that doesn't involve fiddling with the latest adoption fad. I have more important things to comprehend like optimizing my workflow and honing my musician skills.
            Wow. You sound important.

Comment

I'm personally an Ableton user, but I love seeing a high-quality DAW like Presonus being ported to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Wow. You sound important.
                Yeah, hobbies are important. It's better than just being a consumer. Make your own stuff dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Cool!
                  At least they are not wasting resources for supporting something that will be replaced anyway one day with Wayland and Vulkan.
                  Been waiting for wayland to replace X11 for 10 years now and from what the looks of it, it's going to be another 20 years yet before wayland can replace X11. Wayland is not an X11 replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post

Or Bitwig Studio who's is actually using a Flatpak.
                    Or LMMS which has a AppImage version, which works on every distro I have heard of.

LMMS is a free, open source, multiplatform digital audio workstation.
                    Last edited by Gps4life; 09 October 2023, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

Been waiting for wayland to replace X11 for 10 years now and from what the looks of it, it's going to be another 20 years yet before wayland can replace X11. Wayland is not an X11 replacement.
                      Xorg is dead, X11 is just legacy now. The sooner devs aknowledge that the better it will be for Linux users.

Comment

Working...
                      X