Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PreSonus Studio One 6.5 Music Production Software Adds Wayland-Only Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creative View Post
    Most people who do nothing but praise pipewire haven't touched a DAW in their entire life. A few have claimed they have had good luck with it for DAW work, so so very few.
    You're one of of those 'steam engines have always worked well so let's not fiddle with combustion engines... we do even have good horses' guys, right?

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
      why the hell releasing a .deb when Mixbus, Reaper and pretty much every plugin dev releasing stuff for Linux use an installer that simply puts things in /opt?
      Or Bitwig Studio who's is actually using a Flatpak.

Comment

Well... you can launch a wayland app on xorg with a micro compositor like cage.

Pipewire is way more easier and complete than all the jack+pulse couple. On Bitwig, the pipewire engine works perfectly out of the box, jack apps are usable, pulse apps can be used as inputs (quick sampling from firefox), cpu stays low, and today I have a better latency by default than jack before.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

You're one of of those 'steam engines have always worked well so let's not fiddle with combustion engines... we do even have good horses' guys, right?
          Pipewire is an incredible project and I will be happy when it has successfully replaced Jack and everything for DAW work but for right now it's still too much of a moving target to keep up with for a lot of us.

So to answer your question no, I am glad pipewire exist, hopefully not too far down the road I will be happily using it for my DAW work. It's most likely going to be a bit though.
          Last edited by creative; 08 October 2023, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rhysperry111 View Post
            Nice! It's no Ableton, but I got a free license when I bought a pair of their Eris E5s. Definitely gonna give it a try.
            Studio One is imho the best DAW in the world.
            We are lucky to have them in the team!!!

Comment

Hibbelharry

You might want to read through this carefully. An Ardour developer drops in to answer questions.

I’ve been using Pipewire (0.3.8) on Opensuse tumbleweed for about a week now. I have an old focusrite saffire 40 and that all connects perfectly. Even the MIDI in that didn’t work in the past now works. It’s a whole lot nicer to use than having to start manually all the time when I wanted to do stuff. Also the fact it’s all in wrong means I can just use the onboard sound now with JACK with no issues. The usability is a big improvement. Performance wise, I can’t really speak for much yet as have...

Comment

Now they just need to release a Flatpak and it will run on any distribution.

Comment

Finding it kinda crazy that there are still people that are shitting on Pipewire in this year.

As someone who's deep in the Pro Audio space, regularly doing obscure setups to record in outdated studios, or having to hack together using plugins on laptop for live audio when the desk doesn't have suitable inbuilt plugins, Pipewire has honestly been flawless.

It's Jack compatability has meant that all the old Pro Auduo tools have worked without any fuss, and it's improvements in other areas such as BT codecs had meant I can use exactly the same setup on my personal laptop.

<3 you PW Devs.
                  Last edited by rhysperry111; 08 October 2023, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Finding it kinda crazy that there are still people that are shitting on Pipewire in this year.

As someone who's deep in the Pro Audio space, regularly doing obscure setups to record in outdated studios, or having to hack together using plugins on laptop for live audio when the desk doesn't have suitable inbuilt plugins, Pipewire has honestly been flawless.

It's Jack compatability has meant that all the old Pro Auduo tools have worked without any fuss, and it's improvements in other areas such as BT codecs had meant I can use exactly the same setup on my personal laptop.

<3 you PW Devs.
                    With all respect, I have a family member that is a professional musician for a living, he has been to plenty of different studios throughout his years and all of them use Macs. In his whole time of being on the road he literally came across 1 literally one person that used GNU Linux to do recordings and he was a hobbyist.

There are a lot of hobbyist musicians out there myself included that use GNU Linux for music making. For all the real professionals, those folks use Macs, with a few Windows users here and there.
                    Last edited by creative; 08 October 2023, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Just been working out the packaging side of Studio One because I'm interested in creating an AUR package for it. The deb just has a bunch of stuff in /opt (binary exec, some binary libs, and some assets), and then a few things in /usr (e.g. the XDG application launcher file).

It's proving to be a little hard as even though they include quite a few precompiled libraries in their /opt folder, they don't include all of the ones needed to run the applications and it seems that the ones it's looking for are older than what Arch has installed system wide (as it's probably tailored to Debian/Ubuntu). I've tried simply symlinking so that it thinks the old ones are there, but it's giving me some errors. Gonna contact support and see what they say.
                      Does Distrobox work with the package? I don't mind setting it up in Distrobox (for the time being).

Comment

Working...
                      X