The Servo Browser Engine Has Been Making Great Progress In 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesblacklock View Post
    Regardless of how you feel about Rust, it comes up again and again in virtually every poll as the most loved programming language overall.
    Biased polls if that's even true, although I seriously doubt it. (maybe if you said "systems programming language" I'd believe it more, but…)

Not to mention that means nothing, practice does.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      Biased polls if that's even true, although I seriously doubt it. (maybe if you said "systems programming language" I'd believe it more, but…)

Just because a moron like you doesn't want it to be true doesn't make it any less true. Now just shut up and go play, Troll.

Comment

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Cope harder.
        Hello troll.

Get a life, monkey typer

Comment

And yet it keeps getting adopted by project after project by experts in their fields. I think that counts as practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Adihash
            a questiin for developers. Would servo engine remive memory leaks from firefox?
            Rust does help eliminate use-after-free, double-free, and data races, which covers the 70% of CVEs that Google and Microsoft attribute to C and C++

However, memory leaks are outside the scope of memory-safety as currently tackled by Rust

Comment

Originally posted by Adihash
              a questiin for developers. Would servo engine remive memory leaks from firefox?
              Most "memory leaks" in browsers aren't actually real leaks, just aggressive caching to improve performance.

That, plus poorly written javascript extensions that leak memory by not freeing up references. That's not going to get fixed by changing the browser.

I imagine there are a few actual leaks which it might help with in roundabout ways. Just don't expect it to affect 99% of the memory used by your browser. It'd be fixing things in the margins, not completely changing the experience. The big thing it should do is help to reduce crashes and security errors caused by buffer overruns, use-after-free, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
                waiting for hardware acceleration at least on codecs.
                there are way bigger issues then that, most videos don't even show up right now on the new layout engine
                Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
                I was fully expecting the project to die off because Mozilla fired most of the developers
                I think we all did, Im so happy igallia picked it up, I don't know who sponsored this work, but it makes me very happy
                Originally posted by chromer View Post
                Is there any chance for Servo to be a standalone​ browser? (apart from Firefox)
                absolutely.​​ the minibrowser itself is just more or less a convince tool. but servo does support things like tabs and what not even if nothing uses them yet. (im not sure if the simple ui will ever support them). But at the very least, I think it would be a cool enough project to try and make a basic web browser using it in the style of webkit

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Just because a moron like you doesn't want it to be true doesn't make it any less true. Now just shut up and go play, Troll.
                  No need to call others names and be aggressive when you don't share their opinions.

Besides, the polls are most likely biased, even if not on purpose, and it is easy to see why. It is easy for a programming language to be popular in polls when most of its users are using it voluntarily, not prescribed by legacy codebases or employers. This basically implies that all its users will like it to some degree, because otherwise they wouldn't be using it. The polls though will look different in 10-20 years, not because there will necessarily be better alternatives, but because Rust needs time to accumulate history like other "less-popular" languages. Until then, such polls aren't meaningful.
                  Last edited by ultimA; 28 September 2023, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

As long as the unsafe code option isn't used, it would prevent any kind of common errors such as Memory Leaks and Buffer Overflows, as that's the reason Rust exists for in the first place.
                    Technically, the borrow checker won't save you from memory leaks. RAII will help, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ultimA View Post

No need to call others names and be aggressive when you don't share their opinions.

Besides, the polls are most likely biased, even if not on purpose, and it is easy to see why. It is easy for a programming language to be popular in polls when most of its users are using it voluntarily, not prescribed by legacy codebases or employers. This basically implies that all its users will like it to some degree, because otherwise they wouldn't be using it. The polls though will look different in 10-20 years, not because there will necessarily be better alternatives, but because Rust needs time to accumulate history like other "less-popular" languages. Until then, such polls aren't meaningful.
                      He has proven to be an absolute moron over and over. So nothing wrong with that.

Also, its really easy to prove that bias theory wrong, just look for yourself on GitHub etc, you can see there what a project uses.

Comment

Working...
                      X