KDE Plasma 6 Now Enables Tap-To-Click By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

QML will become the Achilles heel of KDE and one day be the reason for its demise.
    Javascript is the achilles heel of the world wide web and will be the reason for its demise.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Those are only above the degenerates that have their dirty fingers on the nipple (trackpoint) all the time. Those are the worst.
      Yeap, I can confirm it, index finger moves, thumb clicks

I like using excessive force when clicking, hitting enter and so on, tap to click is too sensitive to my taste.

Also, when I tap, the cursor moves a little bit before, losing precision

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
        I personally don’t care for tap to click and turn it off, but I am using a magic trackpad 2 and I can adjust the click pressure with it. It is best to set the defaults to what everyone else defaults to as that will have the easiest transition for users new to linux kde.
        Got rid of my mouse and got a magic trackpad 2 as well. That was a couple years ago. Wouldn't go back for the world.

I only tap and never click though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishayu View Post
          Yes. Razer Blades and MacBooks have the worst trackpads in the world.

How about I just hate that feature? I rest my finger on the trackpad and maybe want to move slightly, and it clicks. How about I just don’t want that?

macOS disables this option by default because it’s dumb. The whole trackpad allows you to click anyway. It’s a feature _for_ shitty trackpads, not a feature for good ones.

Then again most Windows laptops do have shitty trackpads, so it does make sense to enable it by default I guess…
          It's just dumb for you. Don't make it a generality.
          I don't see why I should murder my touchpad when I can flick it softly. So much less effort on the fingers and wrist.
          And no, on every laptop I got for work, at home, or with the magic trackpad 2, the sensitivity is good enough that it won't trigger a click if you don't apply a very slight flick. There is a usually rather good distinction between pushing harder to click, flicking it to tap, or brushing it with your palms.

The only laptop I've ever had that drove me crazy on the touchpad was the Thinkpad, because the silly prominent buttons on top of the trackpad would constantly trigger clicks, messing with the trackpad. But it's due to a terrible design, not to the touchpad itself. Modern laptops don't have these bothersome buttons anymore. Fortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            It's just dumb for you. Don't make it a generality.
            I don't see why I should murder my touchpad when I can flick it softly. So much less effort on the fingers and wrist.
            And no, on every laptop I got for work, at home, or with the magic trackpad 2, the sensitivity is good enough that it won't trigger a click if you don't apply a very slight flick. There is a usually rather good distinction between pushing harder to click, flicking it to tap, or brushing it with your palms.

The only laptop I've ever had that drove me crazy on the touchpad was the Thinkpad, because the silly prominent buttons on top of the trackpad would constantly trigger clicks, messing with the trackpad. But it's due to a terrible design, not to the touchpad itself. Modern laptops don't have these bothersome buttons anymore. Fortunately.
            Murder your trackpad... ?! Bro, you're clicking it. You are no more murdering your trackpad than you are murdering your keyboard when you press keys on it. It's designed to be pressed.

I can definitely see the convenience in being able to tap somewhere and having it click - and many trackpads have buttons along the bottom of the trackpad instead of on the touch area, and that means adding touch clicking makes sense. But when the trackpad literally clicks like a button anywhere... there is no reason. Unless you consider pressing a button to be violating it I guess, but that's probably among the dumbest takes I've heard this week.

But sure, if you want it like that, fine. But making it default for people who have good trackpads? Oh dear.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishayu View Post

Murder your trackpad... ?! Bro, you're clicking it. You are no more murdering your trackpad than you are murdering your keyboard when you press keys on it. It's designed to be pressed.

I can definitely see the convenience in being able to tap somewhere and having it click - and many trackpads have buttons along the bottom of the trackpad instead of on the touch area, and that means adding touch clicking makes sense. But when the trackpad literally clicks like a button anywhere... there is no reason. Unless you consider pressing a button to be violating it I guess, but that's probably among the dumbest takes I've heard this week.

But sure, if you want it like that, fine. But making it default for people who have good trackpads? Oh dear.
              Well, I'm glad it's just you then.
              Yes, there is a reason. It's fast, soft and simple.

I personally don't want physical buttons nor do I want a specific zone where to tap, swipe, zoom. I manage from where my palm and fingers are, and it relieves me from unnecessary movements and strain. I believe having a dedicated area is the dumbest way of doing it, and fortunately manufacturers seem to agree. And we go towards the whole trackpad to be tappable. That is perfect for me.
              Usually though , there are options to make it a specific zone for people needing buttons mentally, so you should have ways to be happy nonetheless.​

Comment

Working...
              X