Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Delays Transition To Snap'ed CUPS Print Server

Phoronix: Ubuntu Delays Transition To Snap'ed CUPS Print Server

Since 2021 among other Snap'ing efforts for converting formerly Ubuntu DEB packages to Canonical's Snap sandboxed app packaging format has been the CUPS print server. The plan was to replace the Debian-packaged CUPS with the Snap-based CUPS for Ubuntu 23.10 but now that is being pushed back to next year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pushing built-in system driver or library software to Snap makes totally no sense to me. Can anyone explain what's the advantage of that?

Comment

As a former Ubuntu user that switched in large part due to snaps, I really hope Redhat doesn't continue the CentOS trend and somehow screw up Fedora. It would suck to have to switch to Debian, I like how up to date the core stuff is with Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
        Pushing built-in system driver or library software to Snap makes totally no sense to me. Can anyone explain what's the advantage of that?
        I guess this is to better integrate with upstart, Mir, Unity and all the other great Canonical products

Comment

The clock ticks ever closer to me dumping Kubuntu for something else. Thankfully, progress marches forward on getting everything I don't mind being Debian stale packaged into Flatpaks.

Comment

no dependency hell, more stable, more upgrades, some snaps work very well right now and more alternatives better for us

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

no dependency hell, more stable, more upgrades, some snaps work very well right now and more alternatives better for us
              So, we're going Windows on people? Not even Microsoft would do something as dumb as pushing a print spooler to "an app".

The sad thing is that I can't even blame Ubuntu for this. They've always been plagued with having to come up with new ideas no matter how ridiculous they are. Examples include Mir, bringing back Compiz, and at some point even supporting ZFS on root something. Nevertheless, just because they have issues (and I sympathize with them) that are making them do such things, you and I as responsible knowledgeable people who know better.

Comment

It makes derivatives even more dependent on Canonical. It's a desperate attempt to make their failed Snap store relevant again. Too bad for them they pissed off Valve so much with their attempt to kill support for 32bit legacy games and now SteamOS ships Flathub out of the box.

Originally posted by geerge View Post
                As a former Ubuntu user that switched in large part due to snaps, I really hope Redhat doesn't continue the CentOS trend and somehow screw up Fedora. It would suck to have to switch to Debian, I like how up to date the core stuff is with Fedora.
                Through the recent release of that Bazzite gaming distro, I've learned about the Universal Blue project which looks like a fairly active Ferdora derivative project. While I'm not switching in the foreseeable future, I'm keeping an eye on this. There's always openSUSE Tumbleweed. dnf and zypper commands are very similar and if you're really attached to dnf, you can even use that under openSUSE: https://software.opensuse.org/package/dnf

Comment

Well upstream has already done the hard work. I have been using it to test pappl too.

Complete CUPS printing stack in a snap. Contribute to OpenPrinting/cups-snap development by creating an account on GitHub.

I think the big lift that is left is dealing with all the remaining PPDs.

Apple dropped PPD support too BTW and that cost me a lot of money as our multiple laser printers lost basic features like duplex and paper tray selection.

I'd hate to say it but that leaves Windows as the best option for using older postscript printers now.

Comment

Stop trying to make snap happen.

It's not going to happen

Comment

Working...
                    X