Thunderbird 115 Will Be Rolling Out To Fedora Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
    Although Ubuntu is not a rolling release, it does get new Thunderbird releases backported to any supported releases. The packages from the PPA you linked should make their way into the main repos after passing whatever checks/tests/verification/etc needed for an SRU.
    Yep, that too if there are going to be security fixes that don't make it into the 102.x branch. It will take some time though, so I think the PPA is the best way to go for Ubuntu users who want 115.x now without messing with Flatpak/Snap/self-builds.

Comment

Imho Fedora should stop packaging desktop applications where there is a supported upstream Flatpak. It should not be onto distributions to package third party applications.

Does Microsoft package Thunderbird? no.
      Does Apple package Thunderbird? no.

The Flatpak is from upstream, has already had 115 for some time and is sandboxed. Email clients are somewhat similar to web browsers in that its crucial they're up to date due to security vulnerabilities and that they process others users data without confirmation.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        Imho Fedora should stop packaging desktop applications where there is a supported upstream Flatpak. It should not be onto distributions to package third party applications.

The Flatpak is from upstream, has already had 115 for some time and is sandboxed. Email clients are somewhat similar to web browsers in that its crucial they're up to date due to security vulnerabilities and that they process others users data without confirmation.
        that "upstream" flatpak published by Mozilla is built against an Ubuntu build server running an old version of Ubuntu, and not built against the flatpak SDK with flatpak-builder.

that is how big of a joke the whole build environment on Linux is. This whole "use an ancient distro to build a binary so that it is compatible across a range of
        distribution versions" is broken and has to stop.

Comment

Love to hear that! Apart from the awesome UI update this will also bring a lot of other improvements, especially for the Wayland backend.

Comment

Compare start-up times, integration with DE and unification of UI between flatpak and native builds.
            Sandboxing is a plus side for Thunderbird on flatpak (after all it reads emails and attachments), but how much security over SELinux and modern toolchain does it provide?

Does Microsoft or Apple like it when users don't use their software for emails or anything else?
            Was it Ballmer who once said, that they turn a blind eye to software piracy because they earn more when people are used to only their software?

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
              I'm still tempted to switch to Kontact because (a) the Thunderbird tasks don't support all-day tasks for some inane reason (you MUST manually set the time to 00:00 or 23:59 or whatever) and (b) they stubbornly refuse to allow Autocrypt, even killed the extensions that used to make it possible.

On the other hand, everyone seems to say Kontact is buggier and not as mature.
              Yes, Kontact and KMail are very buggy. Deepin Mail is in a better state, but UI-wise it could use a little more love. I have high hopes for Merkuro.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

that "upstream" flatpak published by Mozilla is built against an Ubuntu build server running an old version of Ubuntu, and not built against the flatpak SDK with flatpak-builder.

that is how big of a joke the whole build environment on Linux is. This whole "use an ancient distro to build a binary so that it is compatible across a range of
                distribution versions" is broken and has to stop.
                Or switch to AppImage. I'd rather have a native package, but AppImage is a good alternative IMHO and you don't have to deal with that ancient distro build crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Or switch to AppImage. I'd rather have a native package, but AppImage is a good alternative IMHO and you don't have to deal with that ancient distro build crap.
                  Appimage's developer considers it the FUSE developers' fault that Appimages are breaking because he baked FUSE2 into it and distros are moving on to FUSE3, despite them never promising an API stability boundary between the component he baked in and the component the distros are updating.

He also has a GitHub Gist named "Boycott Wayland. It breaks everything!" where he makes a bunch of points functionally equivalent to "Windows NT (Wayland) is incompatible with my MS-DOS TSRs (things that work by manipulating other programs in an un-privilege-controlled way). Therefore, Windows NT is wrong.", "Windows NT (Wayland) requires NTVDM/DOSBox (XWayland) to run DOS programs. Therefore, it's not a successor to DOS (X11).", "We need to insist on the creation of Windows 95 (X12) and the shunning of Windows NT (Wayland) so we have a *true* successor to DOS which achieves Win32 without breaking TSR compatibility)", and so on.

That aside, Flatpak is better about that "don't have to deal with that ancient distro crap" part because flatpak-builder and Flatpak runtimes are developed and managed by experts, rather than expecting the individual developer to figure out which libraries to bundle and which will result in a harder-to-fix version of "Every time I upgrade my system, at least one GOG.com game needs me to delete/add a bundled library to solve a segfault/linker error on startup".
                  Last edited by ssokolow; 26 August 2023, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X