No announcement yet.

KDE Gear 23.08 Released With Kalendar Becoming Merkuro, Many App Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Gear 23.08 Released With Kalendar Becoming Merkuro, Many App Improvements

Phoronix: KDE Gear 23.08 Released With Kalendar Becoming Merkuro, Many App Improvements

KDE Gear 23.08 is available today as the four-month update to this collection of KDE desktop applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What, why? "Kalendar" was fine as it perfectly describes what the application is.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      What, why? "Kalendar" was fine as it perfectly describes what the application is.
      <cynical> Probably "too generic" to be trademarked. </cynical>

Comment

Did you read the article?
        Developers working on this app plan on adding email support and more to Merkuro.
        Not to mention that it also handles contacts.
        We renamed Kalendar to Merkuro since the application not only lets you manage your events and tasks any more, but also your contacts.

Comment

How many people are aktually use default apps? Personally I don't. I'd rather managing my aktivities on my phone. Maybe people use kloud to synk akross devices, but I don't trust mainstream (free) solutions. I also don't want to pay either. 😳😳

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post

Did you read the article?

Not to mention that it also handles contacts.
            I did read, but still. Merkuro is not a name that self-describes the application (but oh well)

Comment

unfortunately, on all my touch devices tokodon and newchat are still pretty unusable on touch devices (two linux one android), hopefully those will change since I would really like to use them

Comment

I had the exact same reaction. Fed up with renaming "just to fine a cooler name to communicate around".

Sure, having it being a bit less obviously tied to KDE will help people using other environments being curious to try it, but the name was perfectly clear on what you could expect functionally, and I think KDE would quite on the contrary need and benefit from related applications sticking together to promote it and develop traction.

Comment

I did read, but still. Merkuro is not a name that self-describes the application (but oh well)
                  I agree. I'd even go so far as to say that the majority of KDE's programs could be named better. By better I mean dumbed down and simplistic. The simplistic and descriptive names is one of the few things that I think GNOME does right. Windows and Android, too, for that matter. Practically everyone can figure out what things called Files, Photos, and Text Editor are used for. Dolphin, Elisa, and Strawberry aren't descriptive. They're named like 3rd party programs and not system programs. Heck, at least one shares its name with a 3rd party program.

I'm talking about Dolphin.

Wait, are you talking about Nintendo emulation, Ecco, Flipper, or the File Manager?

Nope. The football team in Miami . The only one who matters. Dan Marino.

Comment

- KDE's Kalendar application for a desktop calendar is now renamed to Merkuro. Developers working on this app plan on adding email support and more to Merkuro
                    Why does Kalendar need mail? What is wrong with kmail? Why do we need another bloated single program that does everything? I prefer the Unix approach of each program doing one thing and doing it well.

Sure, you can have integrations between the programs: kmail could have a button to add a meeting invite to Kalendar. Kalendar could have a way to mail invites based on your address book using kmail.
                    Last edited by Vorpal; 24 August 2023, 08:21 AM. Reason: Fix typo

Comment

Working...
                    X