Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budgie 10.8 Linux Desktop Released

Phoronix: Budgie 10.8 Linux Desktop Released

Budgie 10.8 is out today as the newest feature release for this Linux desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks, but no thanks!
    I want Wayland, 10-bit colors, HDR and Vulkan support, if possible.
    Not little changes and tweaks here and there.
    Budgie and other smaller DEs should just give up and join forces with the developers of bigger and way more modern DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Thanks, but no thanks!
      Budgie and other smaller DEs should just give up and join forces with the developers of bigger and way more modern DEs.
      they are going to wayland, using wlroots. there's several attempts to create a stacking wayland compositor, but none have shown that they are the one that the rest should adopt. time will tell.

Here's a blog post about some of budgie's wayland development work:

I started working on Flyaway with the intention of becoming familiar with Wayland, its protocols and extensions, and the wlroots library. Instead, I ended up genuinely liking all three.

Comment

Thanks, but no thanks!
        linux devs should let linux sink and join forces with microsoft

Comment

Thanks, but no thanks!
          Nah. Budgie 11 sounds pretty interesting. Dumping GTK for EFL, at least that was still the plan a year ago. They looked at iced too which is what System76 is using for COSMIC, not sure if that is being re-evaluated in terms of maturity since they last looked around at toolkits. I'm happiest with KDE currently, but I'm excited about both COSMIC and Budgie 11.

Comment

Thanks, but no thanks!
            Then contribute... But I bet you're not willing to work for free and give entitled shits, that does nothing but complain that this and that is missing, stuff for free.

Comment

Budgie is really productive DE after KDE i have used. Keep up good work.

Comment

It’s unfortunate to see that desktops that remain X11-only are slowly being broken by the push to wayland. At least in terms of shared code.

Comment

One of the advantages with going the EL route could be easier to install both Gnome and Budgie without gnome settings clashing.

well as long as EL updates it’s libraries and you don’t get into dependency hell. Might be because I couldn’t find a way of installing the latest release when I spent some time with Enlightenment.
                  Last edited by Craggles086; 21 August 2023, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                    It’s unfortunate to see that desktops that remain X11-only are slowly being broken by the push to wayland. At least in terms of shared code.
                    Thats the fate of any Software which depends on old libs. Quite normal in the lifecycle. Have a look at software which hasn't transitioned yet from python2 to python3. If you are lucky there are some old required libs in the distro repo. But with a high likelyhood you will run into trouble with a dep which is too new to support deprecated code.

Comment

Working...
                    X