Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 45 Beta Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: GNOME 45 Beta Released With Many Improvements

The GNOME 45 Beta is out today as the latest development milestone ahead of its stable debut in September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Except for the dedicated mouse pointer thread, this release brings nothing for gaming experience/performance.
    Launching and playing games from SteamOS on my Deck vs "trying" to play them on Steam running on Fedora 38 is a night and day difference.
    So many quirks and workarounds are required to get them running smoothly...
    I was hoping for at least some initial work for supporting HDR modes.

Comment

Looks like a great update. Looking forward to trying it out.

Comment

Unfortunately, this time ALL the extensions will break because they changed the way the modules are loaded. Fortunately, it seems a quite easy fix: https://gjs.guide/extensions/upgradi...ll-45.html#esm

Comment

I have been using Gnome more and more and I personally see nice improvements aesthetically from 3.38 into the 4x series. I have to use Windows for work, and I'll be honest, I have a refined setup with specific tools, and from a usability and aesthetic standpoint for what I need to use it for, I do not mind Windows 10 at all, in fact like it. But I don't like the telemetry and ways in which Windows 11 is mucking things up.

On my dual-boot setup I am increasingly booting into Linux unless for work or other certain things. I am considering doing a dedicated Linux install with Windows 10 as a virtualized option within that setup, launch as needed. Gnome is fine by me, but also would have Sway and Hyprland as more minimal options. I like the direction things are going, things are improving it seems to me. I want out of ecosystems where the vendors are exercising too much control over *my* computing.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
            Except for the dedicated mouse pointer thread, this release brings nothing for gaming experience/performance.
            Launching and playing games from SteamOS on my Deck vs "trying" to play them on Steam running on Fedora 38 is a night and day difference.
            So many quirks and workarounds are required to get them running smoothly...
            the "workarounds" are generally turning off driver features. There has been work on this and stuff getting investigated and worked on. It has often been that driver features need to be turned off to increase performance (and match what gamescope does).

There was also some work recently to investigate why and then fix some reactivity took an extra frame than expected.

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
            I was hoping for at least some initial work for supporting HDR modes.
            There is. YUV support/passthrough has been implemented. cli enablement of some HDR modes for testing made it into Gnome-shell44 (though it didnt work on my desktop).

These are however not headline features. That will happen when there is a big button to turn on HDR by default, or a GUI option is added in settings. However that will be after a lot of hard but hidden work that has been ongoing now for 2 years.

Comment

For me, the biggest change they need to make is how Gnome looks. I hate the way it's laid out and "functions". Everything about is is so Fisher-Price about it, the good old days of Ximian Gnome are long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                For me, the biggest change they need to make is how Gnome looks. I hate the way it's laid out and "functions". Everything about is is so Fisher-Price about it, the good old days of Ximian Gnome are long gone.
                I think how it's laid out and how it functions is it's strength. I don't really get the "fisher price" vibe.

Could you go into more detail?
                Last edited by Myownfriend; 18 August 2023, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  Hilarious. Haven't heard that about Gnome in a long time while remembering some people tried to mock Windows XP with that exact description.

Comment

one day VRR support will come. and on that day, the heavens will open and rays of holy VRR light will beam down upon us. and on that day, when we are blessed by the gnome gods, we shall finally feel the warmth and glory of their VRR grace.

Comment

Working...
                    X