Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBS Studio 30 Beta Brings Intel QSV On Linux, WHIP/WebRTC Output

Phoronix: OBS Studio 30 Beta Brings Intel QSV On Linux, WHIP/WebRTC Output

The first beta release of the forthcoming OBS Studio 30 screencasting software is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Um... OBS Studio has had QSV support on Linux for years. I've been able to use VAAPI H.264 hardware encode since the first time I installed it, which was at least 3 years ago. H.265 wasn't supported, but only because the feature was targeting streaming services which also didn't support it.

QSV encoding parameter support on the other hand hasn't been available, and even where it is available it often causes app crashes for me, like in AVIdemux and Handbrake, where anything other than the default results in instant failure or app segfault.

Comment

Sounds like even before diagnosing / fixing the bug someone should just issue a pull request for a few one-liner CI / test case scripts that exercises the various
      documented argument options so that at least every single build people would at least *know* how badly x, y, z are broken.
      Beyond that I bet running a strong static analysis CI pass on the code base would be a horror show of errors that would be a very valuable test case in itself.
      It's bad enough to simply lack enabled functionality but to have it literally crash on the most trivial use of a documented option and seem like nobody has even
      noticed release after release is pretty stunningly bad; at least they should have known / documented it as a known problem & disabled the options by default until fixed.

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
      Um... OBS Studio has had QSV support on Linux for years. I've been able to use VAAPI H.264 hardware encode since the first time I installed it, which was at least 3 years ago. H.265 wasn't supported, but only because the feature was targeting streaming services which also didn't support it.

QSV encoding parameter support on the other hand hasn't been available, and even where it is available it often causes app crashes for me, like in AVIdemux and Handbrake, where anything other than the default results in instant failure or app segfault.

Comment

I don't think QSV is the same as VAAPI. QSV would be the proprietary Intel interface for video encoding/decoding, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
          You are completely wrong.

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post
          I don't think QSV is the same as VAAPI. QSV would be the proprietary Intel interface for video encoding/decoding, wouldn't it?
          You are half-correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

You are completely wrong.

Maybe do a little research.. you can avoid publicly embarrassing yourself so often:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

image.png

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            ​You are half-correct.
            Maybe explain to him what half-correct means, since you're so knowledgeable. ;-)
            Last edited by linuxgeex; 19 August 2023, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post
              Yes Intel QSV (Quick Sync Video) isn't VAAPI, but VAAPI drives Intel's on-cpu video coding hardware, which is what provides the Intel QSV functionality.

Similar to using a Visa Electron card at a grocery store and having the clerk ask you whether it's Credit or Interac and replying "Interac" because it's not a credit card, when in reality it's not an Interac card either, but it gets the job done. You could argue with the clerk over the relative merits of the question they're asking, or you could just get on with your life.

Comment

Working...
              X