More KDE Plasma Wayland Fixes Land, Continued Improvements For Plasma 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post
    I wish I would switch to Wayland, but I enjoy session restore too much...
    Yeah, and window shading into the titlebar.

Comment

Originally posted by Democrab View Post

[...] Windows didn't modernise their display server without the users noticing anything. What do you think all the kerfuffle surrounding Windows Aero was during the time period when Vista was the newest Windows? Ubiquitous and crappy IGPUs couldn't properly run it, nVidia's GPU driver was insanely buggy and regularly caused BSODs for over a year, stuttering and lag problems even on high-end systems, etc. I also still regularly run into issues with my Triplehead setup under Windows whereas on Linux it's a much easier experience to set up.
      Also, ZoneAlarm stopped working in the computers where we installed Windows Vista, some drivers stopped working there (therefore, some devices become unusable), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin36 View Post
        Also, Roman Gilg continues to work on KWinFT

---​
        I've tried KWinFT several times, most recently a month ago, but it always breaks my Plasma Wayland session. Both existing and new sessions (under a different account).

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
          If Wayland still needs so many fixes and after 20 years many users still prefer X11, can we call it a failure by design?

How did MS Windows and Apple manage to modernise there display server without the user noticing anything? Why doesn't GNU/Linux just use Android's display server? It seems to be working fine everywhere.
          If Android's display server is working so well, then why doesn't Google use it for Chrome OS? Chrome OS uses a custom display server, different from X11, Wayland, Arcan and whatever the Android one is called.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            If Android's display server is working so well, then why doesn't Google use it for Chrome OS? Chrome OS uses a custom display server, different from X11, Wayland, Arcan and whatever the Android one is called.
            Android one you did not have name is SurfaceFlinger and the protocol is surfaceflinger​. Chrome OS implements it own wayland server called exo. Yes the base protocol on a chrome OS device is Wayland protocol. Android on Chrome OS has SurfaceFlinger being a Wayland client..

Steam runs in a virtual machine on ChromeOS, but the user experience needs to be seamless. Here's how we're balancing security and usability.

To be correct chromeos has 2 wayland compositors. Sommelier and exo.

Something that is overlooked Wayland protocol by design from day one includes stacking of the compositors without adding horrible amounts of latency. Surfaceflinger protocol was not designed to be stacked. Yes the designed to be stacked did mean early wayland developers did spend a lot of time working on dmabuf/gem/drm to get this stacking bit it work because low latency required making sure to minimize double handling. Android need compositor faster than fixing all the low level stuff need to stacking this is why Surfaceflinger exists.

The fact wayland compositors can stack under chrome OS does mean exo does not have to implement all the Wayland extensions sommelier does.

Yes gamescope from valve and sommelier from chrome os both can be packaged up and used on a normal Linux distribution if distributions want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin36 View Post
              Also, Roman Gilg continues to work on KWinFT

---​
              I think his work should be merged upstream, it's a lot better approach. KDE developers should get out their heads of their asses.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                I think his work should be merged upstream, it's a lot better approach. KDE developers should get out their heads of their asses.
                I would not say so at this stage. Upstream KDE Wayland support restarting compositor without restarting all applications. Wlroots that KWinFT is based on does not support this feature yet and this is not the only example of this.

KDE is using the qt wayland interface library by default this does have advantage of sharing some of the development workload with those using qt wayland in embedded devices as well.

KWinFT and upstream KDE there is not a clear winner yet.

Comment

Working...
                X