Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Wow, that looks terrible! 👎️ 😨️

There are no borders on the windows so when one window overlaps another window there is no visual distinction where one window starts and the other one ends. 😕️
    The title bar for active and inactive windows seem to be the same so there seems to be no way to discern which window is the active one. 😕️
    Well the fact they shoved the bar to the top and put a dock on the bottom tells me this is someone's heavily customized desktop and that it probably has no representation theming or otherwise towards the defaults.

Comment

I tested it in a VM with the KDE neon Unstable ISO. I can say that the actual is much better than the screenshot. The defaults is sane and we are having visible window shadow and borders. The contrast between active window and the inactive ones could be higher but it is distinguishable as the titlebar does change its color. The screenshot in the article is a terrible example.

Comment

Originally posted by Karmux View Post
        No contrast, no depth, no window borders, no anything that would separate windows from each other. Everything is same flat and same gray.
        Even KDE 4.0 looked better in many ways. Plasma gets visually less pleasant with every version.
        It's obvious the default Plasma desktop is going to look different than this experimental preview when released.

Comment

The screenshot is heavily customized. If you download Neon Unstable you'll see it looks exactly like Plasma 5.
          ​​​

Comment

man, there is a lot with plasma one could complain about, but complaing about something you can easily tweak from the main and only needed settings application is just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              man, there is a lot with plasma one could complain about, but complaing about something you can easily tweak from the main and only needed settings application is just silly.
              I've not used KDE since version ~4.10 but even back then I vividly remember that only the default Plasma theme was usable. All other non-default themes were broken one way or another.

So sensible defaults matter and these defaults, with as little contrast as possible, no colors, all icons looking alike is a the worst UX experience you could imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I've not used KDE since version ~4.10 but even back then I vividly remember that only the default Plasma theme was usable. All other non-default themes were broken one way or another.

So sensible defaults matter and these defaults, with as little contrast as possible, no colors, all icons looking alike is a the worst UX experience you could imagine.
                Fortunately it is not the default. Most users would expect the defaults to be sane and don't want to dig into the configurations to tweak a lot to just get a desktop working. Plasma does this quite well in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by gnattu View Post

Fortunately it is not the default. Most users would expect the defaults to be sane and don't want to dig into the configurations to tweak a lot to just get a desktop working. Plasma does this quite well in my opinion.
                  I'm an anal person, you know, so, please show me what I can do in KDE 5 to make systray/status icons colorful.

I've now spent an hour in KDE Neon 5.27 (the latest stable version) and I just couldn't achieve that.

I've installed ten different icon sets, six Plasma theme packs - status icons are still shades of grey.

So much for configurability.

I'm glad I'm on XFCE which is not infected with this brain damaged design language.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                    I've now spent an hour in KDE Neon 5.27 (the latest stable version) and I just couldn't achieve that.
                    It is okay if you cannot succeed initially. Give yourself some more time, try again. You can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
                      It is okay if you cannot succeed initially. Give yourself some more time, try again. You can do it.
                      Since you perfectly know how it can be done, please tell me which Plasma add-ons/extensions/packs need to be installed to make systray and status icons colorful.

You were the first to make this claim, please put your money where your mouth is.

You said anyone can do that, right? That means I don't have to patch KDE.

Comment

Working...
                      X