Mozilla Firefox 116 Now Available - Capable Of Wayland-Only Builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firefox 116 Now Available - Capable Of Wayland-Only Builds

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 116 Now Available - Capable Of Wayland-Only Builds

Ahead of the official announcement tomorrow, Mozilla Firefox 116 builds are available today for those wanting this latest open-source web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This makes things interesting. Makes me also wonder about the Flatpak version, "Wayland only Firefox-flatpak". All in all, it's interesting.

Comment

... builds as an oiption ...

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
        This makes things interesting. Makes me also wonder about the Flatpak version, "Wayland only Firefox-flatpak". All in all, it's interesting.
        How's limiting freedom become "interesting"? A pure Wayland Firefox build is not any "faster" or "better" than the one which supports X11 as well. Oh, it will save you a hundred of kilobytes of code. At the same time:

Code:
        $ du -hs /opt/firefox
        224M    /opt/firefox
        That's the official Firefox 116 x86-64 Linux build. Yeah, that's really something ... I mean absolutely nothing to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          How's limiting freedom become "interesting"? A pure Wayland Firefox build is not any "faster" or "better" than the one which supports X11 as well. Oh, it will save you a hundred of kilobytes of code. At the same time:

Code:
          $ du -hs /opt/firefox
          224M /opt/firefox
          That's the official Firefox 116 x86-64 Linux build. Yeah, that's really something ... I mean absolutely nothing to talk about.
          It's an interesting development, now it really is split from X.org and Wayland builds and the community can hammer down the bugs that pleauges the application in the different branches. Of course nothing is perfect so there are both pros and cons to this method. I am just interested what will happen in the near future (since no one can predict the future, only speculate it).
          Last edited by Sethox; 31 July 2023, 03:21 PM.

Comment

How's limiting freedom become "interesting"?.
            What? How is adding an option becomes limiting freedom?

I mean absolutely nothing to talk about.
            We don't know yet how much lighter Firefox will become. And count all the dependencies needed for X11 like XWayland etc. That can become a significant amount which can be critical for kiosk with 4GB eMMC flash or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
              What? How is adding an option becomes limiting freedom?
              That's an option to create a non-portable Firefox build. How's that "freedom"? What if the user suddenly has an urge to run Xorg? Get wrecked? No Firefox for you? One of the reasons commerical OSes are successful is because they do everything possible to preserve backward compatibility. Linux users on the other hand are obsessed with breaking what used to work in the past. Look where it's got Linux on the desktop so far. Pretty fucking nowhere. Let's celebrate that!

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
              We don't know yet how much lighter Firefox will become. And count all the dependencies needed for X11 like XWayland etc. That can become a significant amount which can be critical for kiosk with 4GB eMMC flash or whatever.
              We are likely talking about ~100KB of data for a 224MB application. What you wrote makes zero sense. Some websites front pages nowadays weigh in at as much as 20MB. So much for removing Xorg support.

<offtopic>Meanwhile Wayland has no concept of DPI and it only supports quite rigid fractional scaling which makes a lot of stuff look blurry on standard (less than 120) DPI screens - yeah, let's celebrate that. Maybe GTK/Qt solve this somehow that but not everything does.</offtopic>
              Last edited by avis; 31 July 2023, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

It's an interesting development, now it really is split from X.org and Wayland builds and the community can hammer down the bugs that pleauges the application in the different branches. Of course nothing is perfect so there are both pros and cons to this method. I am just interested what will happen in the near future (since no one can predict the future, only speculate it).
                AFAIK Firefox Wayland and Xorg code paths are completely distinct. I don't think pure builds could possibly help improve Firefox. Even without "pure" builds Firefox still has a ton of Wayland issues to resolve: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=635134

Comment

How's limiting freedom become "interesting"? A pure Wayland Firefox build is not any "faster" or "better" than the one which supports X11 as well.
                  Honestly, it sounds like an argument that make menuconfig for the Linux kernel is evil but with a slightly different coat of paint. Down with allowing cheapo SoC-based routers to not carry around giant bags of ISA/PCI/PCI-E peripheral drivers!

Comment

How's limiting freedom become "interesting"? A pure Wayland Firefox build is not any "faster" or "better" than the one which supports X11 as well.
                    It saves dependencies, if I don't need them. Not long and Gentoo users can disable X all together if they choose they want to.

Comment

Working...
                    X