Some Of The Features You Will Find Removed With KDE Plasma 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xemanth View Post

That would be the end of KDE... The best part of KDE is that it's highly configurable.
    No, others people might like KDE for other reasons, such as they might prefer Qt over GTK or they might prefer the ugly Plasma theme, or they might like KRunner, etc.

KDE could still be highly configurable without exposing everything but the kitchen sink by default. They could make it very basic by default, then have everything else be opt-in by having to enable those features.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post
      The one thing I still genuinely wish for Plasma is to add an "advanced mode" toggle to System Settings, a la VLC. I pushed for it back in the day and gave up, there were always debates as to "what would be in simple mode" and it always got contentious. But we have Gnome, Windows, and MacOS as reference for streamlined settings panels. Imagine if Gnome Settings had a checkbox that turned it into Gnome Tweaks... Plasma 6 could have that, major releases are the best time for major workflow changes - nudge nudge wink wink if you sexy devs are reading.
      That would be awesome indeed. And contrary to what lazy devs will tell you, it's not hard to implement at all: you just display things based on MRU status and hide the rest. It basically personalizes itself.

Comment

Originally posted by skurk View Post
        Still it's the only DE that I am able to configure exactly the way I want things to work, and I would not want it to become GNOME or anything else.
        The listed changes does not seem to change much though, so it's ok.
        This. I can set it up the way I want. And a year later when my taste changes and want things looking differently, I can do that, too. Imagine that!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

No, others people might like KDE for other reasons, such as they might prefer Qt over GTK or they might prefer the ugly Plasma theme, or they might like KRunner, etc.

KDE could still be highly configurable without exposing everything but the kitchen sink by default. They could make it very basic by default, then have everything else be opt-in by having to enable those features.
          Can you give a few examples of features that would become opt-in?

Comment

I often used the Font DPI method because the screen scaling percentage method would cause applications to become blurry like there was vaseline on my screen or font.
            Wonder if Plasma6 will fix the max 75hz on nvidia card bug (going above 75hz would hard lock system up in most cases for many newer NV card owners).
            Additionally we need VRR modes to work and not have vsync forced on all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I agree with this. I don't prefer it over Gnome but I could definitely use it. One of my issues with it is that any time I right click an area of the UI I'm given some option to modify the interface. I'd prefer it if KDE only showed me options for using the interface. If I wanted to modify the interface, I'd prefer to enable an edit mode from the settings or something. It should assume that I want to use the interface and not that I always want to customize it.

Also I feel like KDE's customization is a bit overblown by it's users. No DE can work exactly the way you want using the interfaces own customization tools. I'm not a fan of the way that most DE's groups apps by category and sort them alphabetically. I actually prefer the manual grouping and ordering of Gnome's app menu. To the best of my knowledge, that's not something I can just set in KDE. Maybe it will let me use some kind of extension to use a different app menu that allows custom ordering but that's not really offering any more customization out of the box then Gnome extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

I agree with this. I don't prefer it over Gnome but I could definitely use it. One of my issues with it is that any time I right click an area of the UI I'm given some option to modify the interface. I'd prefer it if KDE only showed me options for using the interface. If I wanted to modify the interface, I'd prefer to enable an edit mode from the settings or something. It should assume that I want to use the interface and not that I always want to customize it.
                right-click.jpg
                Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

right-click.jpg
                  Just sayin'
                  I'm not sure if you posted that to demonstrate my point or as an argument against what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by skurk View Post
                    KDE Plasma for me is the only DE that is complete enough to actually use on my everyday computer.

Sure it's got a lot of menus, some with weird names or placements and some that feel redundant, some default configuration options that are pretty strange and some other settings that are found in unintuitive places.
                    Yeah, KDE certainly isn't any more complicated than Windows, the settings for which have been spread to the four winds, with little rhyme or reason. I have my reservations about the migration to Wayland, which hasn't worked especially well for me in the past (mostly with regard to fractional scaling), but the complaint that KDE is overwhelmingly complicated out of the box just doesn't resonate. I hear constantly that Cinnamon is the super-user-friendly option for Linux newbies--and I think that's true, but I also have a hard time seeing where KDE is substantially less user friendly.

Of course, the user can introduce complications, because KDE is highly customizable. Those customizations are not always exactly bug-free either, lol. The settings menu is a little bloated, for sure, but more-or-less everything resides in that one place.

GNOME's locked down approach, imo, is the opposite of user friendly. Sure, it reduces complication, but it also makes me feel like I'm wearing a straitjacket.

Comment

Working...
                    X