Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Of The Features You Will Find Removed With KDE Plasma 6

Phoronix: Some Of The Features You Will Find Removed With KDE Plasma 6

Following the recent KDE Akademy developer conference, prominent KDE developer Nate Graham has provided more insight into some of the features being removed with the in-development Plasma 6 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good!
    I hope they remove much, much more to make KDE simpler and easier, it is such a confusing and convoluted mess!

I hope it becomes easier like GNOME, Windows, macOS and Android.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Good!
      I hope they remove much, much more to make KDE simpler and easier, it is such a confusing and convoluted mess!

I don't agree with that sentiment. Simplicity and ease of use should be a goal, but in my opinion Gnome removed features or made parts of the UI too bare and simplistic, making them less usable. I appreciate that, in general, KDE doesn't do that.

Comment

Good!

It's all great until they remove one of the features you happen to use. And this is why I stick to highly configurable software.

Looking at the list of things in this article, it appears that there isn't anything that affects me this time. Maybe khotkeys (not sure how my global hotkeys are set up), but sounds like there is a replacement if so.
        ​​​

Comment

Good!

Hopefully not - i love KDE because it is NOT as 'easy' and limited as GNOME, Windows, macOS and Android but actually offers the possibility to be productive without jumping through stupid hoops dictated by some opinion of the developers on how things should be done.

I don't even understand how people can have the idea that 'limited' means 'easy' in the first place - if you just ignore the settings and stick to the defaults (so exactly what you are forced to do in GNOME, Windows, macOS and Android), it is just as 'easy' as those...

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
            I don't even understand how people can have the idea that 'limited' means 'easy' in the first place - if you just ignore the settings and stick to the defaults (so exactly what you are forced to do in GNOME, Windows, macOS and Android), it is just as 'easy' as those...
            No it isn't. You look at the toolbar and there are 1000 buttons, it is super confusing. You look at the menus it has 15 menus, each menu have multiple submenus. It is confusing. You right click and get a super long context menu, it is confusing.

Comment

Good!

Well, I may be too experienced to use GNOME but KDE still did fit.
              I have to test the new version - and as I am using KDE neon (22.04 LTS based), I will have that chance
              when KDE is ripe - but without Wayland (at least I think so ... we will see).
              Deleting bad things is always a good idea - deleting options necessary to feel at home and work efficiently -
              the typical GNOME way - is just ill.
              I hope Wayland on KDE will be mature enough to provide the flexibility CDE or fvwm provided with ease
              which is not possible on GNOME. Would be a really big mess when standard options are no longer accessible
              due to the rediculous limits Wayland may impose ... would just be a second "Unity" (DE) catastrophe ...
              But I do hope KDE will keep an eye on experts.
              A high resolution desktop is not a smart phone ...
              One GNOME is enough - there is need for cuteness!

Comment

No it isn't. You look at the toolbar and there are 1000 buttons, it is super confusing. You look at the menus it has 15 menus, each menu have multiple submenus. It is confusing. You right click and get a super long context menu, it is confusing.
                Of course you are exaggerating, but in general i don't see KDE using 'confusing' or 'too many' buttons/entries. I mean you have to access functionality somehow. Your argument is something like "MS notepad is better than notepad++, because the UI is less confusing".

Unless of course you have some idea on how to present the functionality in a better way without making it tedious and annoying to use for competent users.

Comment

Both KDE and Gnome are at the extremes . Both are pushing it too much. One is too simple and looks like a mobile interface, the other is too complex and sometimes,fragile (theming,desktop icons,especially,getting screwed on openSuse ,after a crash) .

Comment

I agree with most changes, however, I don't like “- Icons in Plasma styles are being removed”. So now when I really like a theme, but don't like the launcher icon, I can't do anything about it anymore? And what about system tray icons? I really hate the Breeze icons, so support for 3rd party ones is crucial for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X