Plasma 6 Can Now Play A Sound When Plugging In USB Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille View Post
    All nice and fine, but i would like that they fix policykit or remove the arbitrary limit to start kde apps with sudo.
    Out of curiosity, what app do you need sudo for? I only ask because it seems like everything that I need open as root/sudo graphically in KDE can be done from the GUI with a password prompt. All the prompts can be annoying on update day when I see a bunch of PACNEWs and don't feel like being a terminal commander.

What I'd like would be an admin mode. Hit some key combination, enter my sudo/root password, and everything* needing super user privileges won't bother me until I exit admin mode have left the PC alone for too long. For a visual cue, the Breeze accent color would change from Blue to Red (or whatever the user sets).

*that supports the hypothetical admin mode framework

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Out of curiosity, what app do you need sudo for?
      Primary edit config files or copy config to to its destination. The original plan with policykit is that it ask for the password if i do something that requires root but instead i just got the permission denied error.

Comment

Primary edit config files or copy config to to its destination. The original plan with policykit is that it ask for the password if i do something that requires root but instead i just got the permission denied error.
        Outside of the earliest days of this change, I've been very, very fortunate that all of that has always just worked for me (which also means I have no ideas on how to fix it).

Comment

Primary edit config files or copy config to its destination.
          If it may be useful, on those cases, I execute Krusader root mode. It can also synchronize folders, etc
          Last edited by Nth_man; 25 July 2023, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post

With the kio-admin package installed you can use KDE apps to access files as root by prefixing paths with "admin://", like say you can run "kate admin:///etc/fstab" to edit fstab with Kate.​

If you use SDDM, have the wallet named "kdewallet" and have the wallet password set to be the same as your user password then the wallet should auto unlock just fine, it does for me on Arch. With other display managers or if using the TTY to login some extra configuration may be required: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/KDE...cally_on_login

As for automounting stuff I just ended up editing fstab for it, but if you see that clicking on the drive in Dolphin to mount it manually through there also asks for a password then it could be because the system isn't set up to allow users to mount disks freely, some pointers on how to get that working are here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Udisks#Permissions
            I do run SDDM and use kdewallet on my tablet but sadly it doesnt work probably due to autologin? will check out auto-mounting

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I do run SDDM and use kdewallet on my tablet but sadly it doesnt work probably due to autologin? will check out auto-mounting
              Ah yeah, it also won't work with autologin unless whatever method you're using saves your password and uses that for the login. The Arch wiki only mentions something called "pam_autologin" as an example for such a method, which saves your password in (obfuscated) plaintext.

Comment

Pretty sure the USB sound was intended to just be for input devices. If it is for all devices, I hope the one from input devices can be configured to sound different.

Comment

Working...
                X