Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma 6 Can Now Play A Sound When Plugging In USB Devices

Phoronix: Plasma 6 Can Now Play A Sound When Plugging In USB Devices

Following the annual Akademy KDE developer conference, more Plasma 6.0 changes have been landing for this major desktop environment release that will likely come in H1'2024...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All nice and fine, but i would like that they fix policykit or remove the arbitrary limit to start kde apps with sudo.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Dolphin, Filelight, and the Disks & Devices widget will now respect the user's choice for how ot display binary units.

Comment

Suggestion for plugin sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_n3TiNDEC0

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
          Suggestion for plugin sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_n3TiNDEC0
          ...either that, or this:
          https://infosec.duck.rodeo/.

Comment

I noticed plasma likes to make all kinds of dings and noises on Slackware 15, by way of which I still switched over to XFCE. Plasma is gorgeous but I am not liking it for the digital audio workstation I just spent 24hours configuring slackstyle. I was hoping it would be a great gaming desktop but having steam on it doing some benchmarks even the the compositor off, not so great.

I'm really thinking its maybe a better desktop for those that just want their computer to play netflix and do office type work.
            Last edited by creative; 22 July 2023, 09:25 AM. Reason: Experience KDE plasma for the first time after installing Slackware.

Comment

Plasma 6 will play a sound from the active sound theme when a USB device is plugged in or unplugged.
              Funny this should be announced on the day when my DVI/USB KVM arrived to make Windows 7 USB hot-plug noises as simple as double-tapping Scroll Lock.

(Its purpose is to share my screen, keyboard, and central monitor with a firewalled-off-from-the-Internet Windows 7 gaming machine I built using a bunch of hand-me-down parts. When the only thing that I didn't either get for free or have just lying around was a non-VGA KVM switch, I might as well just leave my regular machine multitasking its ass off and set another PC next to it which can be configured to run games in as close to a single-tasking configuration as possible.)​

Comment

if be simply happy if wallet would stop pestering me so often, and automounting via plasma didn't require me to type in my password after login too, typing in my password 3 times after a reboot kinda... sucks

Comment

Wait, I'm confused. I've been doing this for ages on Plasma, either by configuring the sound myself or because the distro already set it up for me. What's the change here then, that it's enabled by default on all Plasma installations?
                  Wa

Comment

Plasma 6 will play a sound from the active sound theme when a USB device is plugged in or unplugged

More dual-GPU systems should have both of their GPUs properly detected
                    I'm reminded of when Hyundai first started selling cars in the U.S. years ago, they had advertisements in magazines that touted that their cars came with over 100 standard features, among them:

A steering wheel
                    Four tires
                    A transmission
                    An engine
                    Windshield wipers
                    AM radio
                    Door handles
                    Floor mats
                    Seats
                    Brakes
                    Wheels
                    Tire valves
                    Tire valve caps

The list went on like this, I kid you not, it listed every part of a car as a "feature", wish i could find one of those old advertisements.

This goes to show how half-assed the first Hyundai were how half-assed Plasma 6 is.
                    Last edited by sophisticles; 23 July 2023, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X