Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome Rolling Out Support For Per-Display Scaling Factors

Phoronix: Google Chrome Rolling Out Support For Per-Display Scaling Factors

For those on Linux running a multi-monitor setup with a mix of resolutions or screen sizes between the different displays, Google Chrome (and Chromium) will soon be able to better cope with this arrangement by allowing per-display scaling factors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So WebGPU in C++ is now a way to slow everything down to "web speed"? ;-) Is WebGPU now supporting SPIR-V?

Comment

IIRC chrome team wanted to start accepting deps in rust, which is why im a bit surprised that they arent using wgpu (what firefox uses) given it's growing popularity and maturity, I realize they probably invested a good chunk into dawn, but it feels kind of like sunk cost fallacy.

Comment

A browser is probably one of the easiest places to add this. It's already all resolution independent and all you have to do is hit Ctrl-+ or Ctrl--. Except for the browser UI itself but on Firefox this also scales arbitrarily, just not independently for different windows. It's all or nothing.

Comment

If only they enabled hardware video acceleration, it used to work in older versions, it basically makes chromium unusable on a low end intel N3060 netbook, you can't even watch a 720p video, you can watch 720p video's on firefox just fine, even 1080p video's play OK with the odd stutter every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by guzz46 View Post
            If only they enabled hardware video acceleration, it used to work in older versions, it basically makes chromium unusable on a low end intel N3060 netbook, you can't even watch a 720p video, you can watch 720p video's on firefox just fine, even 1080p video's play OK with the odd stutter every now and then.
            much agreed, I currently have chaotic aur enabled just for vaapi chromium I find that sadly firefox is too heavy on 3d acceleration for usage for me. and even playing a 1080p video will chug and cause the desktop (kwin) to get very slow

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

much agreed, I currently have chaotic aur enabled just for vaapi chromium I find that sadly firefox is too heavy on 3d acceleration for usage for me. and even playing a 1080p video will chug and cause the desktop (kwin) to get very slow
              Chromium does appear to be lighter, it launches quicker, and in general just feels snappier, its too bad other distros don't use the vaapi patch, or at least make it available, I do like the pop video on firefox better though, you can double click on it and it will go fullscreen, that doesn't seem to work on chromium pop out videos.

Comment

Originally posted by guzz46 View Post
                Actually hardware accelerated video playback does work, I just needed to launch it with this --enable-features=VaapiVideoDecodeLinuxGL --disable-features=UseChromeOSDirectVideoDecoder

Comment

Working...
                X