No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma Wayland Fixes "Severe Screen Distortion" For Some Multi-GPU Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Wayland Fixes "Severe Screen Distortion" For Some Multi-GPU Systems

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Wayland Fixes "Severe Screen Distortion" For Some Multi-GPU Systems

KDE developers remain quite busy working on the Plasma 6.0 desktop development as well as making other enhancements and fixes to their open-source desktop stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Breeze cursor theme saw a visual overhaul to make it look better and more consistent.
    What is the use case for X and Wayland cursors i see in the picture ?

Comment

Only on Wayland I am sure, but not knocking it. I am waiting for Manjaro to fully implement Wayland by default before I use it. Kind of like pipewire being fully implemented be default which is fantastic, was very hesitant at first.

All the breeze stuff looks great, icons, cursors, etc. Never brought myself to use KDE, XFCE just nails it for me already, I used fancy tiling wm's like sway and i3wm. I just keep coming back to XFCE.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post

What is the use case for X and Wayland cursors i see in the picture ?
        Maybe when running on a Wayland session you'll be able to press something and hover over windows to see if they're native wayland or Xwayland?

Comment

I'm hoping that Wayland gets out of the "Nuclear Fusion" stage (i.e., always a number of years away ...).

Well, for Nuclear Fusion as a viable way of electricity production there are some fundamental physical limitations.

Comment

I've been presently surprised with the stability of Plasma as packaged by Debian 12. The last time I used Plasma for any length of time (Kubuntu - couple years back) there was always some aspect of the DE and associated programs that was crashing. I'm sure I could probably get something to die horribly if I went looking for it, but in the course of normal desktop usage, so far things are going well using X.org on AMD hardware. It seems nicely polished (and no, I don't care about Wayland).

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
              I'm hoping that Wayland gets out of the "Nuclear Fusion" stage (i.e., always a number of years away ...).
              Not sure what you mean; I've been using the Plasma Wayland session as a daily driver for years, but to my knowledge still 0% of my electricity is produced by nuclear fusion (directly, that is; 100% of it is produced indirectly by nuclear fusion, collected via solar panels). By contrast, you can use the Plasma Wayland session today. Fedora KDE ships it by default. I think it's time to bin this "Wayland isn't ready" mindset. It's been ready for years. The presence of bugs to fix doesn't imply "it's not ready" anymore than it would imply that the X11 session--which also has bugs--never became ready. The major difference is that the Wayland session gets better over time, while the X11 session degrades and bit-rots.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Not sure what you mean; I've been using the Plasma Wayland session as a daily driver for years, but to my knowledge still 0% of my electricity is produced by nuclear fusion (directly, that is; 100% of it is produced indirectly by nuclear fusion, collected via solar panels). By contrast, you can use the Plasma Wayland session today. Fedora KDE ships it by default. I think it's time to bin this "Wayland isn't ready" mindset. It's been ready for years. The presence of bugs to fix doesn't imply "it's not ready" anymore than it would imply that the X11 session--which also has bugs--never became ready. The major difference is that the Wayland session gets better over time, while the X11 session degrades and bit-rots.
                I genuinely appreciate your comment about Wayland.

If I can make a side comment about nuclear fusion - some part of your electricity is likely produced by nuclear breakdown of Uranium (not enough IMO but that's another story). Thing is, the strong nuclear force is still > 100 times stronger than the electrostatic one, and it can store a lot more energy. Who produced those isotopes? Well, the big star that exploded in a supernova and provided the material for our solar systems, eons ago. Debatable if that should be considered indirect fusion energy ... (heavy isotopes are created via neutron absorption ... )
                Last edited by vladpetric; 08 July 2023, 05:04 PM.

Comment

And I think it's long past time to stop assuming a personal use case and opinion is the same experience for everyone or even a sizable minority. The reason these changes are made in bleeding edge distros like Fedora is because they are being tested not because they're "ready" to be placed in stable distributions where the stakes of failure cases are significantly higher.

Fedora may be "good enough" for the person who likes to tweak everything and doesn't mind the occasional regressions and glitches. But Fedora is NOT designed to be production ready and that's what "it's not ready yet" actually means. The software and configurations are "ready to be widely deployed" in major failure sensitive environments - and that's definitely not Wayland. Only a fool deploys Fedora (or Tumbleweed, or SID, etc) in such environments (granted there's a hell of a lot of fools out there).

Comment

Fedora KDE is also planning to remove Xorg (not XWayland) https://pagure.io/fedora-kde/SIG/issue/347, Wayland is already pretty good even for Nvidia , Steam was big blocker for me but looks like community is building native client in Qt6 for steam. so ignore these Xorg trolls

Comment

Working...
                    X