Solus Linux 4.4 Released - Powered By Linux 6.3, Latest Budgie Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus Linux 4.4 Released - Powered By Linux 6.3, Latest Budgie Desktop

Phoronix: Solus Linux 4.4 Released - Powered By Linux 6.3, Latest Budgie Desktop

While Solus is still working toward its new approach based on Serpent OS and other significant fundamental changes to the Linux distribution, shipping today is Solus 4.4 as the latest incremental update to this Linux distro popular with enthusiasts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

+ Secure boot support

Comment

So, its Ikey there?

Same attitude?

If yes, then sorry, not coming back for more disrespect and attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
        So, its Ikey there?

Same attitude?

If yes, then sorry, not coming back for more disrespect and attitude.
        The qualities you are referring to here are not the qualities I am met with on a daily basis when engaging with Ikey.

I'm privately wondering if perhaps it might be high time for people to consider updating their preconceived notions about who Ikey is and what drives him.

Ikey set out to improve the state of the Linux Desktop and the integration work related to the complete User Experience because, in his view, regular people deserved better than what they were served with by existing Linux Distributions. This founding principle is what led to the creation of Solus and Budgie in the first place, and it feels like a lot of people might have conveniently forgotten that.

Today, Budgie is forging its own path via the Buddies of Budgie org with Josh at the helm, and Ikey is primarily focused on the low level technical work in Serpent OS that will, in due time, enable e.g. Solus (and potentially other Serpent OS-based downstreams) to become easier and less painful to maintain for contributors.

Either way, Solus owes its original focus on serving home users who need a curated rolling distro that Just Works™​ to Ikey, Josh & Co.'s vision and efforts. Having recently not only revived and revitalised but also significantly expanded the team, the new Solus team is now once again charting its own course ahead under the guiding light of those principles.

Comment

The revival is complete!

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

The qualities you are referring to here are not the qualities I am met with on a daily basis when engaging with Ikey.

I'm privately wondering if perhaps it might be high time for people to consider updating their preconceived notions about who Ikey is and what drives him.

Ikey set out to improve the state of the Linux Desktop and the integration work related to the complete User Experience because, in his view, regular people deserved better than what they were served with by existing Linux Distributions. This founding principle is what led to the creation of Solus and Budgie in the first place, and it feels like a lot of people might have conveniently forgotten that.

Today, Budgie is forging its own path via the Buddies of Budgie org with Josh at the helm, and Ikey is primarily focused on the low level technical work in Serpent OS that will, in due time, enable e.g. Solus (and potentially other Serpent OS-based downstreams) to become easier and less painful to maintain for contributors.

Either way, Solus owes its original focus on serving home users who need a curated rolling distro that Just Works™​ to Ikey, Josh & Co.'s vision and efforts. Having recently not only revived and revitalised but also significantly expanded the team, the new Solus team is now once again charting its own course ahead under the guiding light of those principles.
            Wow, that is some great PR talk. If I wasn't using Linux distros that "set out to improve the state of the Linux Desktop and the integration work related to the complete User Experience because, in his view, regular people deserved better than what they were served with by existing Linux Distributions" in the last 25 years, I would be tempted to think that Solus was really into some ground breaking stuff...

Comment

Funny you got so many upvotes for such a nice pr pitch.

Perhaps the members left, but I remember how many here voiced similar experiences to mine when approaching Ikey for the most basic requests.

All that i will say, I was a number one fan of Budgie in Solus, but as stated, that changed when i tried to voice my requests and suggestions at their forums and repeating, many here expressed the same experience.

Anyways, keep up the good PR job.

Comment

Oh thanks for clarify. I feel appreciate for Joshua's effort to rescue this project. But as someone mentioned above, if I see any footprint from Ikey on Solus "again", whatever role he does, I'll not give Solus any shot. Well, I don't ask any new player that "don't use it, don't give it any contribute, … etc." They have their right to taste it as their demand, if they wanna know anything about the past story, I don't give them any explanation. This's their choice. As for me, I choose not to use any project from a disrespectful person like Ikey. Easy peasy!

Comment

The biggest shortcoming with Solus is the same that plagues many other distros, namely the lack of software.

If one has to rely solely on what is available in the official repos of various distros, then one is limited to software built with whatever options that particular project has decided to include.

A perfect example is ffmpeg, if you look at the default options enabled in Ubuntu, Debian, Open Suse Leap, Open Suse Tumbleweed, Fedora, Manjaro, etc you will find that each distro has built it with different options enabled.

For instance, if you want ffmpeg with svt-hevc or svt-vp9, none of them offer it out of the box. If you want ffmpeg with svt-av1 then Tumbleweed is your only choice.

If you want to try to compile a custom build of ffmpeg with qsv, vvc, vaapi, svt-vp9, svt-hevc, svt-av1 and vmaf, I guarantee you break your system on all of them except for maybe Ubuntu or Debian because there are extensive instructions available, and even then there's a good chance that something will get screwed up.

It's actually kind of funny, you can do whatever you want with Linux, except for what you actually want to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X