Firefox 115 Now Available With Intel GPU Video Decoding On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Firefox 115 introduces a new creepy feature where Mozilla has decided that some extensions will not be allowed to run on some websites "for security reasons", but doesn't tell which extensions or which sites or give any information about how they formulated their policy.
    Originally posted by Veto View Post
    Interesting! Could you possibly dig through the open source and cast some more light to it? Or should we just keep it vague and have yet another good old fun conspiracy theory going?
    While I enjoy a good conspiracy theory as mach as anyone I couldn't resist having a look. (And my tinfoil hat is in the laundry anyways.)

Weather a domain is considered quarantined is determined by the the extensions.quarantinedDomains.list​ option in about:config¹. That list is (as of release 115.0) *drumrolls* completely empty…

Release 116 will contain a per extension UI to exempt that extension from the restrictions of quarantined domains, so I guess they are waiting on that before actually quarantining any domains.

My bets for potential future use of this feature would be stuff like online banking sites (based on its links to bug 1810929) and perhaps giving select accessibility related addons access to (previously) restricted domains.

What are restricted to domains I hear you ask? An already existing creepy feature where Mozilla has decided that no extensions whatsoever will be allowed to run on some websites "for security reasons".

All in all I would personally be more concerned about their ridiculous addon signing requirements for Mozilla/Firefox branded release builds.

[1]
    Code:
    https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/toolkit/components/extensions/WebExtensionPolicy.cpp#552
    https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/toolkit/components/extensions/ExtensionPolicyService.cpp#593
    https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/toolkit/components/extensions/ExtensionPolicyService.cpp#613
    https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/toolkit/components/extensions/ExtensionPolicyService.cpp#282
    https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/toolkit/components/extensions/ExtensionPolicyService.cpp#59​
    P.S.: Is there any non arse-backwards way of getting rid of URL previews on links?

Comment

Originally posted by YCbCr View Post
      What are restricted to domains I hear you ask? An already existing creepy feature where Mozilla has decided that no extensions whatsoever will be allowed to run on some websites "for security reasons".
      I'd assume that addons.mozilla.org is on that particular list since, as I remember, addons are forbidden from manipulating its contents for security reasons.

Comment

While I enjoy a good conspiracy theory as mach as anyone I couldn't resist having a look. (And my tinfoil hat is in the laundry anyways.)
        Thanks! That was one of the most informative and fact based posts, I have read today on Phoronix

Comment

Weather a domain is considered quarantined is determined by the the extensions.quarantinedDomains.list​ option in about:config¹. That list is (as of release 115.0) *drumrolls* completely empty…

Release 116 will contain a per extension UI to exempt that extension from the restrictions of quarantined domains, so I guess they are waiting on that before actually quarantining any domains.​
          Thanks for doing the leg work! I started to dig into it last night after celebrating the USA defeating the UK in a friendly match of "catch the cannon ball" some 240 years ago, but it was a rather confusing rabbit trail and I soon fell asleep. I do hope we are quickly provided with much more detailed information about exactly what is being done as part of this "Quarantine".

After 3 years of confusing laws and regulations related to another kind of quarantine, I also question if this was the best name for this little "security" project at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I'd assume that addons.mozilla.org is on that particular list since, as I remember, addons are forbidden from manipulating its contents for security reasons.
            Exactly, as are some other Firefox related Mozilla (sub-)domanis like accounts.firefox.com​, sync.services.mozilla.com​ and support.mozilla.org​.
            See extensions.webextensions.restrictedDomains​ in about:config for the full list.

Comment

Hey I know it's off topic, but I don't suppose anyone has Far Cry 5 working with an Intel Arc under proton?
              Recently gave someone an Arc GPU when her nvidia died, and now I can't get FC5 working (other games do though)

Can't really find anything about it online

Comment

Working...
              X