No announcement yet.

Mozilla Firefox 116 To Allow For Wayland-Only Builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bug (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1833855) title is misleading, the post's statement is wrong.

The mentioned bug is actually about X11 only builds, before 116, wayland was autodetected and it was not possible to make X11 builds without wayland support when the wayland libraries are present on the system.

Firefox allows wayland only build since 101 (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1661450), well technically since 102, there were still breaking bugs (compile time errors) in 101.

(Gentoo introduced the X use flag for 101.0.1, https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/www-client/firefox/firefox-101.0.1-r10.ebuild?id=1c8562a5ea506ad21c44329625f43d510d8e 823e)

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post

Wayland works fine on NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel. Not sure why people have these notions that it's unusable. I've been daily-driving Wayland sessions since 2018 or so.
      Wayland is a protocol, so it can't "work fine". Regarding their implementation, every single one I'm interested in doesn't support Nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post

I do not think that a comparison of --enable-jpeg with --enable-x11 is valid. The latter pulls in quite a bunch of dependencies of which more and more are considered unmaintained.
        I'd argue the maintainer concerns are comparable if on a distro that still intends to support X.org sessions for at least some users. Do you want to build and maintain one package or two? Do you want to rely on the upstream's support for detecting which one to use or reinvent that wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post

Wayland is a protocol, so it can't "work fine". Regarding their implementation, every single one I'm interested in doesn't support Nvidia
          While it may or may not be true that the implementations you're interested in don't work with an Nvidia GPU - we don't know, can't check - your original statement is wrong nonetheless. You're implying that ALL Nvidia Linux users would be interested in the aforementioned implementations as well. This is a baseless assumption. More realistic is that they'd use one of the popular desktops. And they happen to work with Nvidia as well.

Comment

so does this mean firefox will default to wayland now if on a wayland session even if the package is compiled for both x11 and wayland?

Comment

I hate when on a first glance it sounds like Firefox 116 was released, ... clickbait :-/

Comment

Originally posted by AnErrupTion View Post
                They are allowing Wayland-only builds but they won't fix a 19 year old bug...
                Marked as "enhancement", which it is rather than a "bug". If you want it, why not contribute?

Originally posted by rene View Post
                I hate when on a first glance it sounds like Firefox 116 was released, ... clickbait :-/

It's not automatically click-bait just because you don't read carefully enough.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Marked as "enhancement", which it is rather than a "bug". If you want it, why not contribute?
                  This is pretty much a "wontfix" at this point, the devs said it was going to be tough trying to differentiate data and configuration or something like that...

Comment

Originally posted by AnErrupTion View Post
                    This is pretty much a "wontfix" at this point, the devs said it was going to be tough trying to differentiate data and configuration or something like that...
                    Then they should follow the approach Unity games take and treat it all as data. As long as they stop cluttering up the root of $HOME for people who didn't get fed up and just force the issue using something like their official Flatpak release.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

It's not our responsibility to help paid developers with free code.

In any case, this feels like it may be easy. check if $HOME/.mozilla/ exists. it it does, do nothing further as we don't want to lose people's profiles.
                      Otherwise, get the env $XDG_CONFIG_HOME. If it is defined, create mozilla/ under it, otherwise create $HOME/.mozilla/.
                      Last edited by ClosedSource; 03 July 2023, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X