Mozilla Firefox 116 To Allow For Wayland-Only Builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Nice, but honestly I'm more interested in Firefox enabling Wayland support by default, on stable release, when it's running in a Wayland session on KDE Plasma or Gnome, so this bug to be fixed:

After that I'm interested in Firefox enabling and using the default file picker on the distro / DE, by default, on stable release, instead of its own crappy GTK file picker.
    Even Steam has fixed this problem.
    I'm honestly very tired of always having to search the Arch wiki to find how those environment variables are called and create them after each OS install / reinstall.
    I even forgot to set them for two friends for which I installed Linux on their computers.

There are so many things to do and I cannot always remember to set them.
    All you need to do is to go into about:config and toggle:
    widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker​

Comment

Very exciting! Now you can build a Friefox that 75% of all GPU owners can't use

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post

It doesn't work!
        I even restarted the browser.
        Tested clicking on the "Browse..." button here:
        W3Schools offers free online tutorials, references and exercises in all the major languages of the web. Covering popular subjects like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, SQL, Java, and many, many more.

The file picker still doesn't show the folders that I pinned in Dolphin to the left navigation panel and typing a few characters starts searching instead of selecting the first item that matches them, like the crappy GTK file picker's behavior.

So, just that config toggle et to true is not enough for some reason and I don't remember how I did it in the past, but I assume it was with an environment variable.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I'm glad that I realized the majority of the Firefox problems I had was due to Wayland and me trying so many things out that I simply forgot to redo the usual Firefox Wayland environment variables and about:config stuff. I hope this improves that negative experience when switching between X and W.

I'm curious how distributions will respond, if we'll start seeing firefox-wayland and firefox-x11 packages, and if Firefox will get a dumb launcher which will check for X or W to launch the appropriate version.
          now you might appreciate the snaps they could do this on the fly ? ;P

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
            wait firefox needs raytracing?

Comment

Thats not true, even for PC.

See https://www.statista.com/statistics/...are-by-vendor/

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

It doesn't work!
                I even restarted the browser.
                Tested clicking on the "Browse..." button here:
                W3Schools offers free online tutorials, references and exercises in all the major languages of the web. Covering popular subjects like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, SQL, Java, and many, many more.

The file picker still doesn't show the folders that I pinned in Dolphin to the left navigation panel and typing a few characters starts searching instead of selecting the first item that matches them, like the crappy GTK file picker's behavior.

So, just that config toggle et to true is not enough for some reason and I don't remember how I did it in the past, but I assume it was with an environment variable.
                Don't know what distribution you're using, but works fine for Fedora. If you've been making changes to environment variables it's probably that you screwed up the default settings. You can either wipe out all your kde settings and reinitialize to default or search on widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker​​ and reset that way. I found this:
                A known issue previously discussed on this forum is the issue where Firefox (and Chrome?) do not use the default file manager, for example to open folder after a download is completed. All suggestions in those 2 topics to update the mime files have no effect after Firefox or system has been restarted. There is a bug report in the Mozilla bugtracker that contains a solution, for which a package is required: xdg-desktop-portal this package is already installed in a default Manjaro (Gnome) install...

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post

There's also widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.mime-handler , although there's a way to make only one change, valid to Firefox, Thunderbird, etc:

By default, Firefox uses the GTK file selection dialog when you press, for example, Control+O to open a local file. How does a Kubuntu user make Firefox use the KDE file selection dialog?

Comment

Wayland works fine on NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel. Not sure why people have these notions that it's unusable. I've been daily-driving Wayland sessions since 2018 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

There's also widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.mime-handler , although there's a way to make only one change, valid to Firefox, Thunderbird, etc:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1100...100284#1100284
                      Correct, but I didn't change that setting (widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.mime-handler) and Fx is working perfectly with Dolphin for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X