Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome Begins Rollout Of New "Maglev" Mid-Tier Compiler

Phoronix: Google Chrome Begins Rollout Of New "Maglev" Mid-Tier Compiler

With Chrome 114 is the start of Google beginning to roll-out Maglev as their new mid-tier compiler for further enhancing the JavaScript browser performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Chrome was already quite faster than Firefox, looks like with this new engine, Firefox will be left in the dust. Sigh.

And even without JS performance, Chrome UI for some reasons feels a lore more responsive and faster. Mozilla has killed XUL but somehow it didn't affect the application performance much.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      Chrome was already quite faster than Firefox, looks like with this new engine, Firefox will be left in the dust. Sigh.

And even without JS performance, Chrome UI for some reasons feels a lore more responsive and faster. Mozilla has killed XUL but somehow it didn't affect the application performance much.
      What bothers me about Firefox is not that it's slower than Chrome / Chromium in benchmarks (those differences aren't usually noticeable during regular usage), but various issues that just don't exist in any Chromium browser. For example, certain websites randomly getting stuck loading, Youtube thumbnails sometimes refuse to load and various other issues with websites. Some of these issues might be bugs in Firefox, but I think it's mostly the result of the Chromium monoculture (or in other words the IE effect all over again).

Comment

Just for run I've run Motion Mark 1.2 in Firefox 113.0.2 and Google Chrome Version 114.0.5735.90 (Official Build) (64-bit) - both official builds (I don't trust Fedora builds at all - I don't mean security, I mean performance) on my Fedora 38.

Here's what I've got:

Firefox: 1516.44 ±0.80%
        Chrome: 3129.24 ±0.94%

I.e. the current version of Google Chrome is roughly twice as fast. That's bonkers. That's under X.org.
        Last edited by avis; 04 June 2023, 08:41 AM. Reason: New Firefox results, sorry

Comment

I'm too lazy to boot in Windows. Would be nice to check if Firefox for Windows fares better. It must.

Comment

I'm too lazy to boot in Windows. Would be nice to check if Firefox for Windows fares better. It must.
            In regards to performance, I don't know, but every single bug I regularly experience with Firefox happens on both Windows and Linux. Although recently I did learn that my Hulu subtitles out of sync issue happens on Windows, Linux, Firefox, Chromium, Android TV, and Roku TV. Apparently Hulu really, really sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

In regards to performance, I don't know, but every single bug I regularly experience with Firefox happens on both Windows and Linux. Although recently I did learn that my Hulu subtitles out of sync issue happens on Windows, Linux, Firefox, Chromium, Android TV, and Roku TV. Apparently Hulu really, really sucks.
              Firefox generally works and feels better under Windows in my experience. And it's also optimized for Windows first and foremost, so I'm almost sure Firefox under Windows will show much better results.

Comment

How many compiler (stages) does a Web browser need? I guess the perfect answer we will come to is: 42.

Comment

Firefox generally works and feels better under Windows in my experience. And it's also optimized for Windows first an foremost.
                  Not in my experiences. They feel the same regardless of the OS....Windows 11 and an up-to-date CachyOS with Plasma X11. I don't know why, but over the past year Firefox has really gone down hill. I experience multiple CTDs a day regardless of Windows or Linux.

I don't like being this negative about Firefox. I've used Netscape/Firefox since the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Not in my experiences. They feel the same regardless of the OS....Windows 11 and an up-to-date CachyOS with Plasma X11. I don't know why, but over the past year Firefox has really gone down hill. I experience multiple CTDs a day regardless of Windows or Linux.

I don't like being this negative about Firefox. I've used Netscape/Firefox since the 90s.
                    I've used only Firefox for my entire life starting with Netscape Navigator 2.0? I don't remember what its version was back in 1995.

Comment

Working...
                    X