Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 114 Released With CHIPS, Popover API

Phoronix: Chrome 114 Released With CHIPS, Popover API

Google has promoted Chrome 114 to stable across Linux, Windows, and macOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully Firefox 114 will be somewhat on par on the performance level with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Firefox may not be on par in benchmarks but its real world performance is just fine.

Comment

How is Firefox without WebGPU going to compete with Chrome with WebGPU? Doesn't WebGPU have to be fully released in Firefox first?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

How is Firefox without WebGPU going to compete with Chrome with WebGPU? Doesn't WebGPU have to be fully released in Firefox first?
          LOL. You make it sound like websites that people regularly view make us of WebGPU. AFAIK there are NO sites that make use of it, other than some demos, as listed on https://github.com/mikbry/awesome-webgpu ... correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Google's effort to obsolete third-party cookies
            To push their FLOC (or whatever comes next) and prevent any advertising competition for good you mean? ^^

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

LOL. You make it sound like websites that people regularly view make us of WebGPU. AFAIK there are NO sites that make use of it, other than some demos, as listed on https://github.com/mikbry/awesome-webgpu ... correct me if I'm wrong.
              You're not wrong. WebGPU is a solution waiting for an actual problem. There's no practical reason for its existence that can't be done better and safer with native programs. The only reason it even exists is because of the crippled nature of Chrome OS - everything in the browser mentality.
              Last edited by stormcrow; 31 May 2023, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Chrome 114 also has the Popover API enabled by default to make it easier to implement popovers.
                On first glance my thought is "what a shitty feature" but I think it might have a silver lining -- websites like the NY Times that use content blocking Popovers might start using the Popover API and eventually, hopefully, some Chrome plugin comes along that blocks the Popover API from popping over the content I'm trying to read. Fuck me running I hate content blocking popovers...especially when they occur 2 paragraphs in to a story. There's a special place in hell for people who implement popovers 2 paragraphs into an article.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

On first glance my thought is "what a shitty feature" but I think it might have a silver lining -- websites like the NY Times that use content blocking Popovers might start using the Popover API and eventually, hopefully, some Chrome plugin comes along that blocks the Popover API from popping over the content I'm trying to read. Fuck me running I hate content blocking popovers...especially when they occur 2 paragraphs in to a story. There's a special place in hell for people who implement popovers 2 paragraphs into an article.
                  I don't think any websites that use the "PLEASE SIGN UP" popovers will use this new popover API. I think this popover API will be more used by popovers that occurs when you hover or click on elements.

Comment

At this point I could care less about its performance. I just want it to work correctly. I hate saying this, but I'm fed up with Firefox to the point that I want to ditch it. FedEx tracking doesn't work, Hulu audio and subtitles are out of sync with the video, Paramount doesn't track viewing progress, nested menus on random websites don't work, and occasionally the mouse pointer quits changing shape and function when it goes over different elements (like going from arrow to I bar to select text). It's frustrating and everything happens on Windows and Linux. I've dealt with the Hulu and Paramount bugs for over two years. The mouse one for even longer. FedEx and nested menus started happening over the past few months.

I debated whether or not I should post this. Practically every thread going negative about something or other gets old.

I've been using ungoogled-chromium when Firefox doesn't work correctly. I just used it to track some FedEx shipments that didn't work in FireFox.

Don't make the mistake of scheduling a cross-country shipment during Memorial Day weekend. I should have consulted a calendar before I clicked accept with my scheduled rose shipping time last month instead of picking the soonest available time.

Comment

Working...
                    X