Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 114 Beta Brings CSS Headline Balancing, CHIPS, Popover API

Phoronix: Chrome 114 Beta Brings CSS Headline Balancing, CHIPS, Popover API

Following this week's release of the Chrome 113 web browser with faster AV1 encoding, Google engineers have promoted Chrome 114 to their beta channel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Blackground Blur API?

Comment

A classic typography technique of hand-authoring line breaks for balanced text blocks, comes to CSS.

The "4 wrapped lines and under" limit is a bit arbitrary to me. If somebody write this limitation to the spec, it looks strange and stifling future technology improvement; if somebody allow browser engines to make decision by themselves, it introduces inconsistencies in the future.​

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Blackground Blur API?

billyswong What I found funny was that I preferred the text block before it was wrapped. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Blackground Blur API?
          Thanks, fixed.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

One Linux particular fix in 114 is finally being able to read desktop environment dark mode setting and browser browser display accordingly to the desktop setting.

Comment

Oh man, headline balancing is nice. I've been partially solving this with no-break spaces and soft hyphens, but there's only so much you can do.

Comment

By the way, Michael, I think it's time for some improvements to the Phoronix CSS and markup. Hit me up if you want some help with that. I can help with accessibility and dark mode compatibility in particular (including making the charts respond well to dark mode even when embedded as images). Also there are some new features that should help with video embeds in articles on mobile.

I love Phoronix and I'm glad to help.

Comment

Also contains a nasty little regression for Linux users with Ozone set to 'auto' or 'wayland' (not 'default', which is X11) is that the scaling is messed-up. It'll be fixed very quickly and you'll have pixel-perfect non-blurry rendering in no time. - Written from a blurry, overzoomed browser

Comment

Chrome 114 could be the best release yet, with dark mode, hardware video acceleration working on X11(though), and so on. 113 is the worst release ever, utterly broken.

I hope they make hardware video acceleration works on Wayland soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X