Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VVenC 1.8 Released For Speeding Up Open-Source H.266/VVC Encoding

Phoronix: VVenC 1.8 Released For Speeding Up Open-Source H.266/VVC Encoding

VVenC is an open-source project from the Fraunhofer Institute for providing H.266/VVC video encode/decode capabilities. Out today is VVenC 1.8 with the latest enhancements for speeding up CPU-based H.266 video coding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In cases someone wants to try VVC playback in Fedora 37:

mpv / ffmpeg with VVC decoding support for Fedora 37.

The installation instructions are in the archive.

Code:
    sha256sum ffmpeg+mpv-with-vvc-decoding-support-f37.tar.xz
    c6fc12b058da084e2695a01e6ac595f5f57bb4c6bc2d3864c0e065531cd79dc0  ffmpeg+mpv-with-vvc-decoding-support-f37.tar.xz

Comment

A question strikes me when the article compares this solution for the Open-Source H.266/VVC Encoding. But then it dawned on it, to have something to compare with (benchmarking) if this encoding solution is slower is because modern CPU are not powerful enough to handle it easy. So either way, it's a good inclusion for the environment.

Comment

Honestly, at this point, I think the entire H.26x naming scheme is irrevocably tarnished with "Probably has licensing fees. What else is there?" assumptions.

...especially when we're creeping up on "WebP struggles to get uptake because JPEG is Good Enoughâ„¢" for the world of video

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          Honestly, at this point, I think the entire H.26x naming scheme is irrevocably tarnished with "Probably has licensing fees. What else is there?" assumptions.

...especially when we're creeping up on "WebP struggles to get uptake because JPEG is Good Enoughâ„¢" for the world of video
          Totally free for home use if you don't intend to widely distribute your videos.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Totally free for home use if you don't intend to widely distribute your videos.
            So it's useless for streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Desti View Post

So it's useless for streaming.
              Everything is useless for streaming. All streaming services reencode videos anyways, period.

What does this topic have to do with streaming anyways?? I've just checked, the word "stream" wasn't mentioned even once in the news.
              Last edited by avis; 06 April 2023, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I've noticed that WebP has become commonly used for the photos and graphics on news sites now. Sometimes you can manipulate the URL to get a JPEG or PNG instead, sometimes not. I've even seen AVIF a couple of times, although it's much less common.

New codecs can always get some uptake somewhere, like some enterprise product where the company controls the hardware and software. And there's still a need to reduce the bandwidth used by Internet video streaming, which has not plateaued yet. Sites like YouTube can encode everything multiple times to reach ancient systems (MPEG-4 Part 2/H.263) and bleeding edge at the same time.

Having said all that, I hope AV2 is coming soon and crushes everything the Moving Picture Experts Group has to offer.

Comment

The JPEG XL incident has made me more wary of the aomedia group.

Not that I have a problem with AV1... but maybe a viable competitor and a counterweight to aomedia's zealosy is good.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
                    The JPEG XL incident has made me more wary of the aomedia group.

Not that I have a problem with AV1... but maybe a viable competitor and a counterweight to aomedia's zealosy is good.
                    Well, good that people are finally waking up to AOMedia Group.

Comment

Working...
                    X