GTK & Blender Are The Latest Software Supporting Wayland Fractional Scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

I guess this will need to wait for GTK5 as it would require API break and GTK is not supposed to have API breaks in major release after GTK 4.
    GTK3 did have API breaks in early times, or so I heard. Since GTK4 usage isn't widespread yet in 3rd party applications, and as RahulSundaram linked, they are merging the changes to the main branch, it doesn't seem like they are delaying it to GTK5.

As long as they are only modifying the renderer (the another linked merge is affecting Cairo), the application on top may not need to be fractional scaling aware, or maybe only some specific applications related to video and drawing need to adapt.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

I guess this will need to wait for GTK5 as it would require API break and GTK is not supposed to have API breaks in major release after GTK 4.
      The method being used in these merge requests can be applied to gtk4 without breaking API - this is only changing stuff hidden from the public API.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        The joke? The "Year of Desktop Linux" AND "The Year of Mobile Linux" was brought to us by Google. The largest most insidious consumer spy agency the world has ever seen.
        Nailed it. But it literally just comes down to the power of defaults. A significant number of users could get by with literally just a web browser at this point, if Linux was pre-installed on a laptop bought from Amazon, Best Buy, etc... probably most of the world wouldn't realize the difference. Hardware support isn't even an issue anymore, say what you will about Linux hardware support, then go try a contemporary Windows laptop and get back to me.

Comment

billyswong You- I remember reading some post that implementing this will require API break and won't happen in GTK4 but that was before that protocol was merged so perhaps situation changed here. Good to know that GTK4 can get it as well.

Comment

Good job Blender and a really pleasant surprise from GTK devs. It's your turn, Firefox and we're mostly good.

My future laptop with well rendered HiDPI display that I'll buy in next 4-5 years is going to be great on Linux. No rush for me and I'm happy it finally materializes. Better late than never.

Comment

Working...
            X