KDE Ends Out March With More Fixes - Including More Plasma Wayland Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by osw89 View Post

I have two systems, my desktop has an RX6800 and my laptop has a 5800U both run Arch + KDE without issues.
    ok thanks for clarifying... what i have been hoping for is a simple comparison table, for all of those points you mentioned. and with current status (the current released plasma version). across both amd and nvidia

so you provided here something to compare against... really wish some place out there to gather as a shared location to collect this amongst community. of course also to include gpu drivers version, mesa version. other relevant things like that

i think it is a help to others out there. to see such datapoints be collected into a comparison tables format. to then identify which [sub]sets of those features they actual use / require / need for themselves
    Last edited by dreamcat4; 01 April 2023, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

yeah I did many tests.
      I think the compression settings don't work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

Can’t you use KDE Connect for that?
        Admittedly that does work. Perhaps I hadn't tried it before. It does seem several times slower, but it's not something I do often.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Then what do you make of X11, which for practically 30 years still gets new vulnerabilities?
          How does that differ from any other software?

Comment

Originally posted by dreamcat4 View Post

there was public open discussion between devs, and you can use as a starting point the recent blog post(s) of kwinft project itself....

then from that blog entry are linked elsewhere over to other discussion thread between to kde devs, such as on reddit.

however if you speculatively search (from google) are also some other much older blogs from kde devs on their own position, which isnt linked by that. sorry... i dont have the links here to make it more convenient. but the truth is out there! .... like literally. its all been public discussions, news articles (by devs themselves), and threads etc.

one aspect i think is more difficult to follow along is that (for example) the reddit usernames are not obvious who is which specific develloper. but it all is totally genuine (they just make use different username on reddit vs other places). anyhow, you will eventually get the 'approximate understandings'. if not also many of the finer points / weeds of it. but is too convoluted to repost here. i would myself make too much injustice out of trying to repeat it (or to dumb it down). "developer disagreements", lets leave it at that(for this thread). it qualfies enough complexities and "meat" (of details) to be its own seperate storyline entirely.

I read the blog but couldn't find the reddit link, if you have it I'd be interested to read it, but if not it's ok. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              I read the blog but couldn't find the reddit link, if you have it I'd be interested to read it, but if not it's ok. Thank you!
              ah ok, kwinft blog post here:

The KWinFT project has now been going on for over two years as an alternative to the KDE default compositor KWin. In 2022 it has experienced some larger changes, for better and for worse.

but you are correct: i cannot find a direct link to the reddit. But I really thought was there... maybe the link was in reverse direction. Or linked from another link (2 levels). Anyway here have dug up for you:

=====

Going back (to make sense) of the official KDE position:

Here also is one of those involved official KDE team / developer. Who much earlier posted their viewpoints (maybe 2 years before). As an example of those different set of project focus (which came well before the above discussions:

There's a lot of intense, opinionated debate on the current state of Plasma's Wayland session these days. This seems to be fueled by mainly two events, Fedora's announcement to flip to Wayland by default for version 34 of their KDE variant, and a a recent fork of KWin and a few other components of Plasma, KWinFT.

So you kindda have to piece together from those multiple sources. To get the full overview / full story with all of the different positions on these matters. To make more clear / more sense, it requires a proper researched independant journalism (and I don't have such inclinations for that).
              Last edited by dreamcat4; 03 April 2023, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamcat4 View Post

ah ok, kwinft blog post here:

The KWinFT project has now been going on for over two years as an alternative to the KDE default compositor KWin. In 2022 it has experienced some larger changes, for better and for worse.

but you are correct: i cannot find a direct link to the reddit. But I really thought was there... maybe the link was in reverse direction. Or linked from another link (2 levels). Anyway here have dug up for you:

=====

Going back (to make sense) of the official KDE position:

Here also is one of those involved official KDE team / developer. Who much earlier posted their viewpoints (maybe 2 years before). As an example of those different set of project focus (which came well before the above discussions:

There's a lot of intense, opinionated debate on the current state of Plasma's Wayland session these days. This seems to be fueled by mainly two events, Fedora's announcement to flip to Wayland by default for version 34 of their KDE variant, and a a recent fork of KWin and a few other components of Plasma, KWinFT.

So you kindda have to piece together from those multiple sources. To get the full overview / full story with all of the different positions on these matters. To make more clear / more sense, it requires a proper researched independant journalism (and I don't have such inclinations for that).
                Awesome, thank you so much!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Then what do you make of X11, which for practically 30 years still gets new vulnerabilities?
                  you mean niche vulnerabilities that did not even apply to anyone?

Comment

Working...
                  X