GNOME 44 Released With Many Desktop Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Gnome gaining support for Wayland's fractional scaling wouldn't effect this because virt-viewer would have to support fractional scaling. Since it uses GTK3 and even GTK4 doesn't support fractional scaling, it should work exactly as it did before. Even then, I don't think there's any way for the vm-monitor to communicate to the guest OS what scaling you're using, it can only report lower resolutions which would make the guest look blurry.
    The app's toolkit wasn't the problem here, I'm pretty sure Mutter was telling virt-viewer that my 3000x2000 screen was 1714x1142 (screen is scaled 175%). That meant virt-viewer was maxing-out at that resolution and then blurring things instead of using all my actual pixels correctly. It's notably different this week on a Lunar beta than on Jammy or Kinetic.

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post

Do you have a specific bug in mind? My desktop seems to be fine.
      Unable to drag links from Google Chrome or Firefox to anything, unable to drag files from file manager to terminal, Skype, Firefox or Chrome. Cut&Paste doesn't really work in these circumstances, other than the terminal, so it's a deal-breaker for me.

This has held me off from Gnome+Wayland desktop adoption.

That and the lack of proper multi-monitor support. My minimum requirements: landscape primary + portrait secondary, scaling *only* on the secondary, apps can't explode crossing from one display to another, bilinear scaling is acceptable if fractional scaling won't work, desktop layout must survive power cycling the displays (hey google, I'm leaving. hey google, I'm back) including position/size/scale of app windows. It would also be nice if they allowed mapping the second display to its relative physical position, including the empty space between them, so when I drag a window from one to the other it maintains the same shape instead of taking a hyperspace leap onto the other display. Yes I want the part of the window that lands on the monitor's bezel to not be displayed while I drag it, and same with mouse movements. And a fullscreen video should stretch across both displays unless I maximise it to a single display, and the bezel should block out the portion of the video between the displays.

All that works with Ubuntu 8.04-22.04 using KWin/KDE3, Metacity/Gnome2, XFWM/Xfce3+ Fluxbox, even OLWM, but not GNOME 3+ or KDE4+ - neither X nor Wayland as their window managers/compositors give them aneurysms when displays power down. GNOME3+ and KDE4+ both lack a way to set a persistent virtual desktop the size of the multi-monitor layout. Both prefer to think they know better than the user does. Both unmap the powered off displays when the DBUS event arrives, dynamically shrink the virtual desktop size, then move/resize/rescale apps onto the first available mapped display. And on powerup both inevitably map the secondary display as primary because it powers up faster.

Thankfully XFWM4 settings still allow the user opt out of dynamic display management!

Hopefully I'll find shell tools that allow me to write scripts to fix the display layout braindamage with GNOME, ie monitor DBUS for poweroff, record window metadata, restore the display layout when the dislpays re-appear, then restore the apps... it'll be ugly but at least I won't have to spend 5 minutes before I can be productive again.
      Last edited by linuxgeex; 22 March 2023, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post

Unable to drag links from Google Chrome or Firefox to anything, unable to drag files from file manager to terminal, Skype, Firefox or Chrome. Cut&Paste doesn't really work in these circumstances, other than the terminal, so it's a deal-breaker for me.

This has held me off from Gnome+Wayland desktop adoption. That and the lack of proper multi-monitor support (minimum requirements: landscape primary + portrait secondary, scaling *only* on the secondary, desktop layout survives power cycling the displays.)
        You might need to look into what's happening on your system because all of that works really well on Wayland for me on multiple devices. In fact, X11 definitely supports multiple monitors with different scales worse.

What hardware do you use?

Comment

Does it support drag and drop from File-Roller to Nautilus? It has never been implemented since I switched my Gnome session to Wayland.
          The default Nautilus decompressed tool is not able to decompress the rar file with password.

Comment

Originally posted by s9209122222 View Post
            Does it support drag and drop from File-Roller to Nautilus? It has never been implemented since I switched my Gnome session to Wayland.
            The default Nautilus decompressed tool is not able to decompress the rar file with password.
            My understanding is that File Roller lost drag and drop support on X11, too, and it won't be back until it's ported to GTK4

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

My understanding is that File Roller lost drag and drop support on X11, too, and it won't be back until it's ported to GTK4
              There were rumors that fileroller will go EOL and the 2 features it provides will be implemented in nautilus. Don't know if that's true, but I'd be OK with that change.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

There were rumors that fileroller will go EOL and the 2 features it provides will be implemented in nautilus. Don't know if that's true, but I'd be OK with that change.
                They were implemented in nautilus a few releases ago (double clicking an archive uncrompresses it into a folder with the same name)and file-roller is pretty much EOL - or rather open to contributions from those that still find it valuable.

However there are many users who still prefer file-roller for its "power features". Not power enough though to actually work on the app.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

File Roller is definitely not going EOL. In fact, it's currentpy being ported to gtk4/libadwaita. I really don't get why archive managers in general becoming so unpopupar even among power users. I wouldn't even call myself a power user, but for me an archive manager is one of the most useful utilities in any OS.

Comment

Working...
                  X