Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still Have A Use For Adobe Flash? Ruffle Is Working To Safely Emulate It In Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
    That is kinda horrible thing, because Adobr Flash was kinda best tool for some small developer to solo develop a game.
    I kind of get that. It allowed people to express novel ideas with fairly low effort (and lack of decent engineering!). Unity has mostly picked up the slack for these kind of "disposable games" but Flash was quite easy to use, even for less technical guys. I suppose when Unity goes under, we will be back to square one

Back then, we actually ported a few of our (C++) LEGO "advergames" to Flash Bytecode (to run on the Flash VM) via Adobe's Alchemy (GCC based) compiler (I think it is called Crossbridge now). So really the Flash VM and WebAssembly do have some big similarities. There is no real reason why Adobe can't retarget their Flash tools to HTML5/WASM. I do wonder why they haven't prioritised this. Unity makes a lot of money on the prosumer market, I am surprised that Adobe doesn't want a slice of that cake (plus Unity is fairly weak when it comes to 2D workflow).

I suppose the platform to run Flash games will now be Ruffle -> Rust -> WebAssembly so everything should mostly work again in future.

Edit: For a while there was even a Unity internal beta called "molehill" that transpiled the C# into ActionScript3 and then compiled to Flash VM. It was horrible though and barely worked.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 17 March 2023, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Gemcraft and Massive Missile Mayhem are 2 flash games that come to my mind for trying this

Comment

Usually when something starts to accumulate rust it's a clear sign for its decay.

Comment

A favorite time wasting site from the past also seems to use it:

It has a lot of content.

Comment

Every single "Rebuild x in Rust" projects has been leading to this exact time, this exact moment. Beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by TuesdayPogo View Post
              Every single "Rebuild x in Rust" projects has been leading to this exact time, this exact moment. Beautiful.
              I wonder if there is a github repo listing such projects now, seems like something someone would do. especially with how many seem to be doing it now

Comment

The big flash games sites of old times are sponsoring this project, Armor Games, Kongregate and so one

Comment

Don't really care about safety, just want a ppapi frontend

Comment

Originally posted by paulocoghi View Post
                    2advanced.com , all versions, from v1 to v6!

How come none of you haven't mentioned one of the greatest (serious) classics made in Flash yet?
                    By greatest of all time you must mean

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Vector Tower Defense works properly now which is great. Shame in The Last Dalek you can't see the floor, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X