Firefox 109 Available With Unified Extensions Button, Other Small Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 109 Available With Unified Extensions Button, Other Small Changes

Phoronix: Firefox 109 Available With Unified Extensions Button, Other Small Changes

Following last week's release of Chrome 109 by Google, Mozilla has uploaded their release binaries today for Firefox 109. Firefox 109 is the web browser's first release of 2023 and has caught up to Google's Chrome with its versioning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

has caught up to Google's Chrome with its versioning
    Hooray! This is what matters in life. Biggest number wins

It is great to see them working on their extensions system. I feel this is actually going to put them in a unique place once the chrome-engine based browsers lose a lot of flexibility with theirs due to upstream decisions.

And smaller browsers (i.e midori & gnome's) likely won't be able to implement their own for a while and expect it to take off because they are a little too niche to build up a community of plugins. (Of course if they leverage that from Firefox's then everyones a winner)

Comment

The "Unified Extensions" button is so useless. We already have the "More tools" button. You cannot hide the Unified Extensions button and nor can you customise it. There's no benefit of it!

Mozilla says that the MV3 spec mandates it but the WebExtensions specs were obviously mostly designed by Google for Chrome. They retrofitted the spec for the design they already had. That's the way Google usually works, at least, having seen Android and prior Chromium development.

Firefox is nothing like what it used be. It used to have amazing add-ons and customisability. Unfortunately those add-ons served to be a security risk, and Mozilla has moved on to use web technologies for their UI. It's a shame functionality has only gone backwards since then.

Great article as always, Michael. So glad I made an account and can finally thank you. I ought to donate.

Comment

Now that Manifest v3 is in place, lets start the countdown to the point where the Mozilla Foundation folds like a cheat suit, to its main sponsor's desire of a adblock-free "experience".

Comment

I still don't understand how Firefox after so many years still doesn't support all the HTML and CSS tags and it's not maxing out the score on HTML5 test website:
          The HTML5 test score is an indication of how well your browser supports the upcoming HTML5 standard and related specifications. How well does your browser support HTML5?

Also there's so bug there as the first score, at last for me, showed 511 and after a refresh 513.
          As for KDE, Firefox still refuses to use the native KDE file picker when it's running on this desktop environment.
          I assume that Wayland support is still not enabled automatically when running in a Wayland session.
          Mozilla should stop wasting time and resources with always changing the layout and other UI bullshit that nobody asked for!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            I still don't understand how Firefox after so many years still doesn't support all the HTML and CSS tags and it's not maxing out the score on HTML5 test website:
            The HTML5 test score is an indication of how well your browser supports the upcoming HTML5 standard and related specifications. How well does your browser support HTML5?

Also there's so bug there as the first score, at last for me, showed 511 and after a refresh 513.
            As for KDE, Firefox still refuses to use the native KDE file picker when it's running on this desktop environment.
            I assume that Wayland support is still not enabled automatically when running in a Wayland session.
            Mozilla should stop wasting time and resources with always changing the layout and other UI bullshit that nobody asked for!
            I agree that html5test.com is a very good site but last news there, is from 2016 so I think that it's some kind of outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              [...] And smaller browsers (i.e midori & gnome's) likely won't be able to implement their own for a while and expect it to take off because they are a little too niche to build up a community of plugins. (Of course if they leverage that from Firefox's then everyones a winner)
              GNOME Web already have support for WebExtensions. And they, indeed, follow the Firefox implementation.

Comment

Have you tried configuring it to use portals? Just the environment variable will do.
                https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fir...DE_integration

I still don't understand how Firefox after so many years still doesn't support all the HTML and CSS tags and it's not maxing out the score on HTML5 test website: https://html5test.com/
                ​Chrome isn't maxed either. I have 526 for Chromium and 515 for Firefox which isn't far off. Also some Web API are intentionally not implemented because they're deemed harmful or solely pushed by Google, which naturally affects the score, see https://mozilla.github.io/standards-positions/
                Last edited by Vermilion; 16 January 2023, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Wth is "unified extensions" button? The official page doesn't mention that.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Wth is "unified extensions" button? The official page doesn't mention that.
                    It's apparently been available since 107. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/unified-extensions

Comment

Working...
                    X