Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Ends Out 2022 With More Features & Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Ends Out 2022 With More Features & Fixes

KDE developers have wrapped up another busy year enhancing their open-source desktop environment and application stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's important to note that KDE ends out 2022 with Wayland fixes.

Comment

If there is any appreciation for KDE DE is the bugs, not for the sheer amount of them but for the discovery of them. It's the community (that reports them) and/or the developers that are so active to fixing them.

Credit where credit is due..

Comment

KDE is amazing!

I hope that next year will bring more developers, users and money to them!
        I definitely love the idea of a Swiss-knife like DE that can adapt to anyone's wishes and needs.
        Hopefully Valve will become a KDE patron or put a bit more effort to help it improve.
        A Vulkan, Zink, LLVMpipe backend and a built-in virtual keyboard would be very nice to have.
        And HDR support.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          KDE is amazing!

I definitely love the idea of a Swiss-knife like DE that can adapt to anyone's wishes and needs.
          Hopefully Valve will become a KDE patron or put a bit more effort to help it improve.
          A Vulkan, Zink, LLVMpipe backend and a built-in virtual keyboard would be very nice to have.
          And HDR support.
          Came to say that (HDR)!

But never looked at the list of patrons and boy, it is light!

As you said, hopefully Valve becomes one and bring some really needed support in the form of gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Came to say that (HDR)!

But never looked at the list of patrons and boy, it is light!

As you said, hopefully Valve becomes one and bring some really needed support in the form of gaming.
            Yeah, HDR would benefit Valve a lot because of HDR-capable games, but also because Steam Deck and future Steam devices can also play HDR movies and HDR videos on Youtube and I assume HDR videos made with mobile phones like family recordings.
            I think there are a lot of use cases for HDR and Valve would benefit a lot from this.
            And not only Valve.
            AMD, Intel and Red Hat could give a hand with this.
            Too bad that they don't sponsor KDE organization already as KDE developers seem to do everything there's needed to bring such a feature.
            I already saw KDE developers proposing features and modifications to the Wayland protocol and to the Mesa drivers to improve stuff that could not be done without changes into these projects too.

Intel has already became a Gold patron for Krita:

Krita is a professional FREE and open source painting program. It is made by artists that want to see affordable art tools for everyone.

I think it's time for AMD and Valve to do something substantial too.

Maybe one of them will do something next year.

I'll definitely wish for the best.

Comment

KDE is my main desktop since late 1998 and my only desktop since 2007 when I reformatted the Windows partition to become fully KDE!

Thanks for your efforts!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                KDE is amazing!

And HDR support.
                i find very difficult to start to develop for kde..... setup all the kde dev env is complex... could be nice to have virtual machine for that...

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post

i find very difficult to start to develop for kde..... setup all the kde dev env is complex... could be nice to have virtual machine for that...
                  Hey, it's almost 2023. There's Docker for you
                  Btw, happy new year everyone!

Comment

A wonderful desktop environment. Happy new year to the KDE Devs and all you too.

Comment

Working...
                    X