Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Developers Work On More Fixes & Features For Christmas Week

Phoronix: KDE Developers Work On More Fixes & Features For Christmas Week

Christmas week didn't slow down KDE developers with there still being a number of features and fixes for this open-source desktop environment to land...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good!
    Nice Christmas gift.
    I can barely wait for the next year to see and use all the cool features arriving in KDE Plasma 5.27.
    BTW, Happy holidays everyone!

Comment

Does Kde Neon work under Wayland when an NVidia Video Card runs?
      Last edited by MorrisS.; 25 December 2022, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Under the Plasma Wayland session when KWin has been restarted, log-out / restart / shutdown will now work where as previously they failed if a KWin restart occurred.
        This implies that there's a kwin --restart equivalent under Wayland that doesn't kill your session. Knowing what that is would greatly reduce my resistance to switching to Wayland since, with KWin 5.x on X11, these days, it's less about crashes and more about having to hit the Toggle Compositing hotkey when it starts to glitch out after a week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

This implies that there's a kwin --restart equivalent under Wayland that doesn't kill your session. Knowing what that is would greatly reduce my resistance to switching to Wayland since, with KWin 5.x on X11, these days, it's less about crashes and more about having to hit the Toggle Compositing hotkey when it starts to glitch out after a week or two.
          It's not quite ready for prime time yet, but yes, the team has been working on being able to restart the compositor without the session or apps being killed. This required upstream contributions to Mesa and toolkits (including to GTK). The necessary changes are still working their way through the various places I think, but it's getting closer.

Cf. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...e_requests/283

Comment

It's funny how things change over time... back in the late 90s when GNOME was just getting off the ground, KDE had so many obvious problems that even a relatively spartan and primitive alternative was preferable.

Now GNOME is goofy, and KDE is far superior (in my opinion, I'm sure others feel differently.) Congrats to the KDE team.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post

It's not quite ready for prime time yet, but yes, the team has been working on being able to restart the compositor without the session or apps being killed. This required upstream contributions to Mesa and toolkits (including to GTK). The necessary changes are still working their way through the various places I think, but it's getting closer.

Cf. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...e_requests/283
              🥳

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Slightly OT comment: Turns out my SMB kio-fuse issue is due to Dolphin not adding user name into path for Linux SMB share that allows guest access, but forces user x. Now do I bother enough to report this...

Comment

VPN still not prompting user for authentication token when using, for example, Google authenticator.
                  I don't get what is so difficult to implement :/

Comment

Working...
                  X