Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10 Is Eliminating GTK 2 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
    I agree, people aren't being fair to birdie here.
    It seems some of you suffer from the Stockholm syndrome.

Comment

Well, it is pretty annoying for people who don't care much about looks or advanced gui features.
      I used to prefer gtk 1.x based tools long after gtk2 was out, same with gtk3.
      I suppose I'll end up using only cli + ncurses based tools with a virtualized web browser, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
        Having to keep changing apps/workflow really is making Linux annoying to use. Mate exists for a reason. Having to switch app names from Gedit to Pluma and all the other mate apps was annoying as hell.
        As opposed to other platforms?

Windows: Internet Explorer --> Edge, Paint --> Paint 3D, Windows Photo Viewer --> Windows Photos, Outlook Express --> Windows Live Mail --> Windows Mail - almost all of them with a different workflow as well, and these apps are only a few examples off of the top of my head;
        Android: tons of Google apps that have changed names or workflows because Google (also see the Google Graveyard website);
        iOS/macOS: Apple keeps merging apps to integrate everything into one app, and also other migrations and name changes like iTunes --> Apple Music for example.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 27 August 2022, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
          I suppose I'll end up using only cli + ncurses based tools with a virtualized web browser, or something.
          That is pretty much what I resorted to when Gnome died and was replaced in the repos by a completely different project with the same name.

It is actually quite liberating to jump off that treadmill but certainly isn't going to attract new users any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It seems some of you suffer from the Stockholm syndrome.
            This makes no sense to me; I am in no way birdie's prisoner, nor do I agree with all of his opinions.
            Last edited by hamishmb; 27 August 2022, 07:20 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post

This makes no sense to me; I am in no way birdie's prisoner, nor do I agree with all of his opinions.
              Exactly. Can't say I agree with many of his opinions either, but in this thread all he did is ask if someone is interested in porting some old apps from gtk2. Then, the next commenter who got the most likes started harrasing him. And then all the others.
              I think it's simply unnecessary, considering he didn't voice some controversial opinion or something. And it just makes everyone here look immature.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
                Instead of posting stupid posts you can grab some book and learn programming (you will see how hard may be to mantain old software), after few years if you really need this software you can start to port this stuff yourself and stop complain. Other solution? Switch to alternative software or stay with older distribution, but... anyway stop complain.
                What a retarded shill you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  gdi32 is still supported and applications written for Windows 95 GUI still work today. Identically.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    gdi32 is still supported and applications written for Windows 95 GUI still work today. Identically.
                    If you had read the rest of my post, you would know that I wasn't talking about app support in general but about MS moving people from one of their first-party apps to the other. Whether or not you can use the old apps still is beside the point and not something most people would do anyway. Most people accept the new apps or learn to deal with it.
                    Last edited by Vistaus; 27 August 2022, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Windows: Internet Explorer --> Edge, Paint --> Paint 3D, Windows Photo Viewer --> Windows Photos, Outlook Express --> Windows Live Mail --> Windows Mail - almost all of them with a different workflow as well, and these apps are only a few examples off of the top of my head;
                      Android: tons of Google apps that have changed names or workflows because Google (also see the Google Graveyard website);
                      iOS/macOS: Apple keeps merging apps to integrate everything into one app, and also other migrations and name changes like iTunes --> Apple Music for example.
                      Therefore in Windows I use Firefox, IrfanView, Thunderbird, and Media Player Classic (packaged by K-Lite). Oh "classic" Paint still exists in Windows 10 (not sure for Windows 11), even though its interface has been ribbon-ized long ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X