Clear All

• ClosedSource
    replied
    This a really pretty desktop

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    They can bag out C++ all they want, at the end of it all. C's text handling is awful. Such a major component of a programming language shouldn't be so awful to use.
    Or maybe it's a sign you shouldn't be using strings in the first place, because under the hood, they usually suck.

But who am I kidding, I've seen C# "programmers" who convert integers to strings back-and-forth at least 5 times for no reason and then wonder why everyone considers their code absolute shit "when it works lol".

Leave a comment:

• DMJC
    replied
    Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post
    I mean they literally call the C++ bindings GTKmm, i.e. GTK--, which shows what they think of the language.
    They can bag out C++ all they want, at the end of it all. C's text handling is awful. Such a major component of a programming language shouldn't be so awful to use.

Leave a comment:

• hamishmb
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post

Simple analogy, but ok. You don't have to be a prisoner to suffer from this syndrome.

Good to know. I was right.

If someone attacks someone else and it's justified it's not your problem. I hope you'll be on duty when birdie attacks and sabotages other thread.
    I don't think attacks on people are necessary at all, especially in the context of software and the Phoronix forums.

My opinions are my own and I'm not one to agree or disagree with people just for the sake of it.

I don't think there's any real discussion happening here, but the sake of completeness, yes I will defend anyone who I think is unfairly attacked, regardless of whether I agree with that person's opinion or not.

We all can, and should, do better than this here, and try to make a more pleasant community here.
    Last edited by hamishmb; 29 August 2022, 07:42 AM. Reason: Typos

Leave a comment:

• eagleoneraptor
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Any volunteers to port these apps to GTK3/4?

ddccontrol-gtk - use it daily
    gkrellm - likewire
    gpicview - use quite a lot
    hexchat - use quite a lot
    lxdm - my DM
    pavumeter - use it often
    unique - it has UI? Really? OMG

A weird decision on Redhat's part.

And these are GTK2 applications that I use. I imagine people have lots more.
    There's a Flatpak for Hexchat in Flathub, I think they bundle the Gtk+ 2 library in the Flatpak app files, maybe something similar can be done with the rest.

Leave a comment:

• ⲣⲂaggins
    replied
    Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    I would actually support these moves in GTK2/3/4 if they actually fixed major problems with the API such as callback auto-binding in C++/Objective-C when using GTKBuilder/Glade. But they don't. It really feels more like shuffling chairs around, and also removing much loved/used features e.g certain menu options, notification area icons etc not to mention stupid naming conventions for previously easy to find items.
    Asking for better C++ support?! C++ is a second citizen to GTK - just take a look at the gtk.org homepage:

image.png

I mean they literally call the C++ bindings GTKmm, i.e. GTK--, which shows what they think of the language.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

Where the fuck did I complain? I invited people to port these applications and didn't welcome this decision. What's up with people today?

Also, you know what's wrong with Linux exactly and why Windows, Chrome and Mac OS are everywhere and Linux is only seen on supercomputers? These OS give a fuck about backward compability. Linux/Open Source developers are obsessed with developing something new and throwing away perfectly working solutions. This is not limited to the core Linux OS, NPM/Ruby/Python libraries have the same issue.

You do not break people's workflow. You do not make them look for replacements, oftentimes either missing features, working differently or not existing at all. Must be something very wrong with you if you think otherwise.
    We were all "invited" to port this ancientness when it became possible, and the answer is clearly "no thanks" lol.

Leave a comment:

• DMJC
    replied
    I would actually support these moves in GTK2/3/4 if they actually fixed major problems with the API such as callback auto-binding in C++/Objective-C when using GTKBuilder/Glade. But they don't. It really feels more like shuffling chairs around, and also removing much loved/used features e.g certain menu options, notification area icons etc not to mention stupid naming conventions for previously easy to find items.

I don't care if my desktop is 3d accelerated or 2d accelerated. GPU rendering seems to be buggier than CPU rendering, and 3D accelerated environments are often unavailable. Especially in virtualised/server environments. Hell, I only cared about Wayland support because I couldn't use Intel/AMD at the same time and X11 now does that seamlessly so throwing out the entire GUI layer seems less relevant in 2022 than it did in 2020.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by hamishmb View Post

This makes no sense to me; I am in no way birdie's prisoner
    Simple analogy, but ok. You don't have to be a prisoner to suffer from this syndrome.

nor do I agree with all of his opinions.
    Good to know. I was right.

If someone attacks someone else and it's justified it's not your problem. I hope you'll be on duty when birdie attacks and sabotages other thread.

Leave a comment:

• castlefox
    replied
    Probably would never happen but I would love to see the real statics from RedHat of how many users are using stuff that needs GTK2. I more surprised that Red Hat has been supporting GTK2 this long (in it's End Of Life state)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X