Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Console Could Be Ubuntu 22.10's GNOME Terminal Replacement

Phoronix: GNOME Console Could Be Ubuntu 22.10's GNOME Terminal Replacement

Back in May was a proposal by Canonical desktop software engineer Jeremy Bicha to use the new GNOME Console as the default terminal application in Ubuntu 22.10, replacing the GNOME Terminal. That default change hasn't happened yet but some necessary improvements have now been made to Ubuntu Kinetic's gnome-console package ahead of that possible shift...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Given the upstream recommendation from GNOME, expect other Linux distributions to begin transitioning from gnome-terminal to gnome-console moving forward.
    It is recommended for the casual terminal user, not "power users" according to gnome-console's gitlab page:

A minimal terminal for GNOME

Console is supposed to be a simple terminal emulator for the average user to carry out simple cli tasks and aims to be a ‘core’ app for GNOME/Phosh

We are not however trying to replace GNOME Terminal/Tilix, these advanced tools are great for developers and administrators, rather Console aims to serve the casual linux user who rarely needs a terminal

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

It is recommended for the casual terminal user, not "power users" according to gnome-console's gitlab page:
      That's probably because at the time of writing the README, the GTK4 VTE bindings were not ready and had missing features.

I have just installed it from the latest git sources and it is SO pretty and modern compared to the old GNOME Terminal. Can't wait to replace it when it's stable.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

That's probably because at the time of writing the README, the GTK4 VTE bindings were not ready and had missing features.

I have just installed it from the latest git sources and it is SO pretty and modern compared to the old GNOME Terminal. Can't wait to replace it when it's stable.
        Is changing the terminal's colors supported? How does it compare to blackbox for example?

Comment

Here is the obvious question: why not update the older program with the new features, instead of trowing out a perfectly functional program and starting all over again?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Here is the obvious question: why not update the older program with the new features, instead of trowing out a perfectly functional program and starting all over again?
            Because sometimes a old codebase really reeks. All the main code is in the VTE library anyways, its just a UI for it. So why not start with a clean fresh one.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Because GNOME doesn't just ascribe to the CADT model of development, they're what it was coined for.

Comment

I had a brief look at gnome console when Fedora 36 was released and quickly removed it again.

I want profiles, being able to change my terminal colours, size, etc and being able to set the encoding to name just a few. And gnome console at the time had none of them. It was way too simplistic.

And I want my terminal to be readable, so the last thing I want is transparency.

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post

Is changing the terminal's colors supported? How does it compare to blackbox for example?
                  You can only switch between dark and light themes. It's still lacking some features like a read-only mode, changing the cursor blink, and things like that (which I don't really use on a daily basis, but they come in handy from time to time).

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said that I would replace GNOME Terminal with it right away, though I imagine those features will arrive if they really want people to use it over the classic GNOME Terminal.

Blackbox offers much more customization.
                  Last edited by EvilHowl; 02 August 2022, 08:26 AM.

Comment

It's just average and for the average user - so make it default! Gnome logic. So Gnome users are average users?

Comment

Working...
                    X