No announcement yet.

KDE Fixes Many Plasma 5.25 Bugs This Week But Still Needs More Developer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any news on sddm? Still no native wayland support and with the current x11 implementation it takes two minutes to shut down a pc. It looks like nobody is interested in it, even KDE devs who use it for some reason as display manager for KDE.
    Last edited by RejectModernity; 04 June 2022, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
      Any news on sddm? Still no native wayland support and with the current x11 implementation it takes two minutes to shut down a pc. It looks like nobody is interested in it, even KDE devs who use it for some reason as display manager for KDE.
      I agree that sddm needs to push a new release with Wayland support which, btw, is already implemented in current git master. However, I don't experience 2 minute shut downs. My PC shuts down pretty much instantaneously.

But again: I agree with the new version push and they already implemented Wayland support, so a new release will come.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Great to see that memory leak is now patched. It hasn't caused me any major problems but it was still annoying.
        It's affected me a couple of times. Most annoying is when the (new) oom-killer decides to kill kwin_wayland, therefore everything running within it, instead of something that can easily be replaced like plasmashell.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I agree that sddm needs to push a new release with Wayland support which, btw, is already implemented in current git master. However, I don't experience 2 minute shut downs. My PC shuts down pretty much instantaneously.

But again: I agree with the new version push and they already implemented Wayland support, so a new release will come.
          I switched to the git version of sddm, and it's pretty buggy and not user-ready, but at least now PC turns off instantly. It's June and last commit was in May. I guess sddm reached the perfection and won't get any updates at all.

Comment

I switched to the git version of sddm, and it's pretty buggy and not user-ready, but at least now PC turns off instantly. It's June and last commit was in May. I guess sddm reached the perfection and won't get any updates at all.
            Or the people that work on it have more important things to do like feeding a family, playing with their kids, etc. Funny how the 'community' seems to think people have nothing better to do with their time than put out free software to ungrateful people in a continuous stream.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Or the people that work on it have more important things to do like feeding a family, playing with their kids, etc. Funny how the 'community' seems to think people have nothing better to do with their time than put out free software to ungrateful people in a continuous stream.
              Low quality bait

Comment

Could you elaborate on what the bugs are?

Comment

Quality software that just works is a very much underappreciated good. It's not so much the big bugs or missing features that are the dealbreakers. They are worth being worked around or getting fixed. What really hurts are the small papercuts that seem to happen all the time. They very much hurt productivity, but they never seem to be important enough to justify filing issues. Even less so going through the trouble of investigating the problem in source code and submitting bug fixes.

In light of this, the value of the current KDE focus on bug squashing cannot be overestimated. The Linux Desktop has a reputation for being finicky and maintenance-intensive at the best of times. For it ever to gain traction, the path forwards must be an emphasis on establishing rock-solid reliability.

Comment

1. SDDM is pretty much abandonware at this point: https://github.com/sddm/sddm/graphs/commit-activity
                    2. Just because it shuts down slowly for you, that doesn't mean it does for everybody. I'm pretty sure SDDM has nothing to do with shutdown anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Well, it's a day-time job for a lot of KDE devs. They have big patrons thay pay them well, so it's not like most KDE devs only work on weekends or off-nights or whatever. Not to say they don't have other things to do and the things you mention are very important (!!!!!!), I'm just saying they're not your average GitHub developer that only works whenever he/she sees fit.

Comment

Working...
                      X