PulseAudio 16.0 Released With A Variety Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by microcode View Post
    I wonder how long PulseAudio will be maintained, it's been replaced by default on my machines with PipeWire for a while now.
    Probably as long as it takes for Wayland to fully replace X11 on most distros lol.

Comment

sndio used in OpenBSD and FreeBSD is arguarably simpler than alsa or pulseaudio or pipewire. The simple fact that Linux has 3 sound systems in the same time period that the two biggest *BSDs has had one is telling. Admittedly I've never used pipewire yet but I know sndio is better than pulseaudio.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        Probably as long as it takes for Wayland to fully replace X11 on most distros lol.
        Why would it be similar to that? PipeWire is (for nearly everyone) a fully compatible drop-in replacement for PulseAudio and JACK2.

Comment

There is really no reason for PulseAudio API users to migrate to PipeWire yet. PipeWire has first-class support for the PulseAudio API, while PulseAudio API users might have to support environments where PipeWire is not commonplace yet. IMHO, it's really not appropriate to compare this with the ongoing X11 -> Wayland telenovela.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            Admittedly I've never used pipewire yet but I know sndio is better than pulseaudio.
            lol XD

Comment

Are there any that aren't working with PipeWire Pulse left?
              Pipewire is not PulseAudio. However, clients linked against libpulse from PulseAudio can connect to Pipewire daemon.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Please define normal users. There are issues with PulseAudio other than low latency.
                There are some hardware surveys like the one for Steam users. Most users don't have sound chips with ASIO drivers. They don't use DSP on Linux. Mobo integrated chips, USB headsets, bt headsets, ..

Comment

sndio used in OpenBSD and FreeBSD is arguarably simpler than alsa or pulseaudio or pipewire. The simple fact that Linux has 3 sound systems in the same time period that the two biggest *BSDs has had one is telling. Admittedly I've never used pipewire yet but I know sndio is better than pulseaudio.
                  Not entirely sure what you mean by "*BSDs has had one" when they both have had OSS, libao, esound AND pulseaudio (yes pulse is not Linux exclusive). And of course sndio works on Linux as well.

Comment

I wonder how long PulseAudio will be maintained, it's been replaced by default on my machines with PipeWire for a while now.
                    I'm not 100% certain but I seem to recall Fedora switched to pipewire-pulse some time ago. With Ubuntu doing the same from its next release that's basically the nail in the coffin for it. I don't believe Pulseaudio 16+ is going to see any use on any desktop distro that matters.

Comment

The simple fact that Linux has 3 sound systems in the same time period that the two biggest *BSDs has had one is telling.
                      Desktop BSD is not exactly popular compared to Linux, and things can move fast in the Linux world, hence why we have duplication like this. The needs of that particular moment that had to be met ASAP whose solutions didn't age well.

Comment

Working...
                      X