X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• royce
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    Yeah, you'd think that most Linux users would want the more feature-packed and customizable software, which is KDE. GNOME seems to try to target very novice users (which should account for 0% of Linux desktop users), and it does so with a desktop environment that would be unfamiliar to them.
    You'd think wrong. You must be confusing your personal preferences with absolute facts.

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post

> Meanwhile KDE Spectacle offering to save screenshots as .cur or .ico files, but not .webp (Ubuntu 22.04)!

> Both sides work hard to keep the Linux desktop share at 1%.
    As it was written there: anyone can try it in Kubuntu 22.04 (and 20.04) and see that KDE Spectacle also offers saving screenshots as .webp

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    Originally posted by lumks View Post

> Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    > [...] GNOME seems to try to target very novice users (which should account for 0% of Linux desktop users)[...]
    > [...]
    (And yes, I'm completely aware that GNOMe does have some huge shortcomings too)
    > you see only gnome as enterprise ready desktop on, well, enterprise distros.

KDE Plasma, with distributions like Kubuntu, have paid support available, ready for enterprise. It also comes preinstalled (as e.g. Kubuntu) with computers (even laptops) from Tuxedo, Slimbook, etc.

> everything is getting in my way and just screams out "Change this, change that, resize this, shrink that, enable this"

Can you share a screenshot of everything getting in your way and screaming out "Change this, change that, resize this, shrink that, enable this"?

> proper SMB support. I don't hate Plasma (or any other desktop for that sake), it's just more work then it's should be.

Would you share a bug about that proper SMB support? It works well for me and I'm curious.

Leave a comment:

• lumks
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    [...] GNOME seems to try to target very novice users (which should account for 0% of Linux desktop users)[...]
    You might have a completely wrong image of linux desktop usage. There are a ton of professional powerusers who
    1. Do not want to change a thing on the desktop, including the wallpaper
    2. Are pretty limited to what they can change, because of a KIOSK like environment
    3. Use the PC as a tool to work, not as reflection of the personality
    That's GNOMEs target audience. Thats why you see only gnome as enterprise ready desktop on, well, enterprise distros.

KDE Plasma is a nice desktop to toy around with, I was using it for 12 years and am trying it from time to time. But it just is not a tool I can really work on, as everything is getting in my way and just screams out "Change this, change that, resize this, shrink that, enable this" on top of some shortcomings, like proper SMB support. I don't hate Plasma (or any other desktop for that sake), it's just more work then it's should be.

(And yes, I'm completely aware that GNOMe does have some huge shortcomings too)

Leave a comment:

• WannaBeOCer
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

I would recommend you to try reading as this issue is about running Psychtoolbox on top of X on top of Wayland, not about running Psychtoolbox on top of Wayland. You base your claims on Wayland missing something needed for "precision timing" which is plain wrong. Neither is that a problem nor the issue about that.

For what it seems, Psychtoolbox is directly targeting GLX instead of doing the sane thing and using a platform middleman like SDL2, which is the main reason why it does not already just work fine on Wayland. But who can blame those devs for doing things that were strongly not recommended for 10-15 years now.
    You probably didn’t read the prior post which list the missing protocol that is currently a WIP required for precision timing which is why the devs aren’t using a wayland backend.
    Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 23 May 2022, 02:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
    Seems like you didn't read what I wrote. Wayland doesn't work on AMD, Intel and Nvidia when trying to run vision/neuroscience experiments that require precision timing. If it worked fine it would already be the default backend for Psychtoolbox: https://github.com/Psychtoolbox-3/Ps...box-3/pull/765
    I would recommend you to try reading as this issue is about running Psychtoolbox on top of X on top of Wayland, not about running Psychtoolbox on top of Wayland. You base your claims on Wayland missing something needed for "precision timing" which is plain wrong. Neither is that a problem nor the issue about that.

For what it seems, Psychtoolbox is directly targeting GLX instead of doing the sane thing and using a platform middleman like SDL2, which is the main reason why it does not already just work fine on Wayland. But who can blame those devs for doing things that were strongly not recommended for 10-15 years now.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    I switched to PipeWire a couple months ago. Everything works, except QEMU is unable to output any audio when used in virt-manager.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Fixed it for you:

I was referring to visual neuroscience, we can lump everything into visual research. Again Wayland isn't ready for MY actual research and they're working on it. You ensuring it's usable for vision doesn't mean it provides usable data FOR ME.

This a protocol extension that offers enhanced presentation timing requests and events, in order to help clients minimize visual anomalies. It is modeled after the VK_KHR_present_timing...

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• WannaBeOCer
    replied
    Originally posted by mppix View Post
    ?Gulp?

I don't know the toolbox but I can ensure you that wayland is usable for vision (no clue about neuroscience unless you mean real-time neural networks).
    I'll add the disclaimer that real-time is relative (depends on the observer/goal) when we talk about a display driver.
    I was referring to visual neuroscience, we can lump everything into visual research. Again Wayland isn't ready for actual research and they're working on it. You ensuring it's usable for vision doesn't mean it provides usable data.

This a protocol extension that offers enhanced presentation timing requests and events, in order to help clients minimize visual anomalies. It is modeled after the VK_KHR_present_timing...

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    I've been following this issue: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipew...re/-/issues/93 My DAC does detect DSD playback but just like reported I get static noise when it's playing.
    [/URL]
    ?Gulp?

Seems like you didn't read what I wrote. Wayland doesn't work on AMD, Intel and Nvidia when trying to run vision/neuroscience experiments that require precision timing. If it worked fine it would already be the default backend for Psychtoolbox: https://github.com/Psychtoolbox-3/Ps...box-3/pull/765
    I don't know the toolbox but I can ensure you that wayland is usable for vision (no clue about neuroscience unless you mean real-time neural networks).
    I'll add the disclaimer that real-time is relative (depends on the observer/goal) when we talk about a display driver.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X