No announcement yet.

KDE Lands More Plasma Wayland Improvements & Fixes Ahead Of Plasma 5.25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many people not taking into account the trend and pace of bug squashing in Plasma... You just can't find anything else alike, huh.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post
      So many people not taking into account the trend and pace of bug squashing in Plasma... You just can't find anything else alike, huh.
      Eliminating 15-minute bugs and papercuts, as part of both release cycle and crunches, is certainly a trend I'd like to see adopted more!

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

I just hope 5.25 is finally the version I can provide to a family member who's been asking for a Linux system for months.
        Honestly maybe just set them up with Gnome? My parents, my brother and a couple of aunts have been running Fedora since 30 and it has been rock solid and i have very little to fix in this time. Just some dash to dock issues other then that they do the release upgrades themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
          Some nice bug fixes for Wayland, great! I'm sure Plasma 5.25 will be a stable & good release. I hope that it allows my Steam Deck to switch to Plasma Wayland as well.

One annoyance is the small size of the default start menu of Plasma. I really dislike the scroll bars that appear as soon as there are some additional categories. Why is it not possible to change the size? :-(
          There is a fullscreen launcher that might be a good fit for the Deck. You can switch to it by right clicking the start button, show alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by petete View Post

There is a fullscreen launcher that might be a good fit for the Deck. You can switch to it by right clicking the start button, show alternatives.
            Thanks. I'm aware of this. But as ngraham mentioned already, the standard Plasma menu will probably be resizable in the next release. So no scroll bars anymore.

Comment

I am a little surprised by some comments, reading of people claiming that Tumbleweed uses beta packages is really stupid, Tumbleweed like all rolling releases release Plasma version when it officially comes out as stable and after openSUSE automated testing, no packages beta ..., it is really hateful to read certain comments.
              The wayland version of Plasma is not yet by default, so to be amazed that there are fixes every time is stupid, even if since 5.24 the Plasma session is generally usable and in good condition, but there are still some problems for some configurations " strange "or Nvidia.
              I have been using the Plasma wayland session on my PCs for months now and I have never crashed, some fixed crashes concern problems while changing settings (it shouldn't happen, but I don't think a user spends his days changing settings), or crashes that are generated in some particular conditions, so much so that I have never noticed them.
              Anyway a month ago I installed Gnome to a friend and you know what? No wayland session available due to a GDM bug, just to say that bugs are everywhere, even on Windows.

Comment

Thanks. I'm aware of this. But as ngraham mentioned already, the standard Plasma menu will probably be resizable in the next release. So no scroll bars anymore.
                For information, as already written you can resize it in Plasma 5.25, but it can be enlarged horizontally, to do so take a look at the image below.

To do this, enter the launcher options and select show action button captions. (translation may not be faithful)

image upload

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                  I am a little surprised by some comments
                  Why? You've been on Phoronix for 9 years. You know how it goes. Distro/desktop/toolkit holy wars rage on.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
                    With 5.24.5 it actually feels quite stable but I do still have an issue with my system requiring a hard reset because a window became fullscreen. It's happened since the 5.24 beta with mpv, gwenview, firefox, some game I was playing (possibly Subnautica in wine) while trying multiple kernels and Mesa versions.
                    Can you share the URL for the Bugzilla ticket you filed about this issue?

Comment

One annoyance is the small size of the default start menu of Plasma. I really dislike the scroll bars that appear as soon as there are some additional categories. Why is it not possible to change the size? :-(
                      If you're referring to the Application Launcher, it is possible to hold Super (Win key) and then dragging the menu with mouse right click to resize it, but it isn't persistent across sessions.

Comment

Working...
                      X