Google Chrome/Chromium Experimenting With A Qt Back-End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I don't know, I think Firefox mostly uses GTK for the application window to have a window display on the screen, but then they don't really use GTK much, I think they mostly use GTK to bootstrap their application then use HTML and CSS to render their own widgets.
    They use GTK for the File Chooser window and things like that. It's very distracting on my KDE Wayland desktop when I'm presented with that GNOME CSD bullcrap. I need to go back to using that SUSE Firefox AUR package. It really helps with the CSD bullcrap. Just in the past week I've downloaded a few things by accident because I instinctively clicked the save button because CSD bullcrap means the Save button is where Close is located on every goddamn thing else.

Comment

A Qt version of Firefox would be great. If Chromium goes to Qt I might consider dropping Firefox as my main web browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post

I was under the impression Firefox was not using GTK anymore (anywhere!).

But if they do, i hope they'll change to Qt...
        Both Firefox and Chrome/ium use libgtk:

$ cat `ps ax | grep chrome | awk '{print "/proc/"$1"/maps"}'` | awk '/gtk/{print $6}' | sort -u
        /usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0.2404.27
        /usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/gtk30.mo
        /usr/share/themes/Greybird/gtk-3.0/gtk.gresource

$ cat `ps ax | grep firefox | awk '{print "/proc/"$1"/maps"}'` | awk '/gtk/{print $6}' | sort -u
        /opt/firefox/libmozgtk.so
        /usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0.2404.27
        /usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/gtk30.mo
        /usr/share/themes/Greybird/gtk-3.0/gtk.gresource

I use the official builds.

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
          A Qt version of Firefox would be great. If Chromium goes to Qt I might consider dropping Firefox as my main web browser.
          What's so good about libQt as opposed to libgtk aside from differences in font rendering and dubious GTK file open/save dialogs? I'm genuinely curious.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

What's so good about libQt as opposed to libgtk aside from differences in font rendering and dubious GTK file open/save dialogs? I'm genuinely curious.
            Dialog boxes, borders, and window controls can follow the style of the graphics toolkit. That's about it. It just makes everything look the same.

What's funny is GTK programs like Firefox and Chrome can look off on GTK desktops that don't adhere to CSD like Mate and Cinnamon. A Qt Firefox or Chrome would probably look more native than the current versions on "traditional" styled desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

GTK apps are ugly as fuck, that's the main reason and they don't fit well on my Plasma Desktop.

Comment

GTK apps are ugly as fuck, that's the main reason and they don't fit well on my Plasma Desktop.
                And that

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

They use GTK for the File Chooser window and things like that. It's very distracting on my KDE Wayland desktop when I'm presented with that GNOME CSD bullcrap. I need to go back to using that SUSE Firefox AUR package. It really helps with the CSD bullcrap. Just in the past week I've downloaded a few things by accident because I instinctively clicked the save button because CSD bullcrap means the Save button is where Close is located on every goddamn thing else.
                  For the file choosers, I've been using export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Dialog boxes, borders, and window controls can follow the style of the graphics toolkit. That's about it. It just makes everything look the same.

What's funny is GTK programs like Firefox and Chrome can look off on GTK desktops that don't adhere to CSD like Mate and Cinnamon. A Qt Firefox or Chrome would probably look more native than the current versions on "traditional" styled desktops.
                    Both Firefox and Chrome don't use GTK for anything other than file open/save dialogs They render everything else on their own.

Comment

Linux QT apps looks ugly. They look something from old windows 98/xp. Compact, box-y UIs. Yuck. It looks like they are made for someone with visual difficulties.

Modern UIs don't fit on ugly and clutter jam like plasma. It's obvious.
                      Last edited by arun54321; 14 April 2022, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X