Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome/Chromium Experimenting With A Qt Back-End

Phoronix: Google Chrome/Chromium Experimenting With A Qt Back-End

Public code reviews started this week on Qt platform support for Google's Chromium open-source browser code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Personally I am waiting for Firefox to switch from GTK 3 to GTK 4.

Comment

I thought chrome was already using Qt

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Hm... would that mean Firefox starts to have the terrible font rendering of GTK4? Or are they using their own font renderer?
        Because if "yes", I'd prefer them to stay forever on GTK3 or switch to Qt.

Comment

This is funny when you recall Chrome's Konqueror origins.

Comment

It may say "do not land" atm, but seeing who's the owner, Qt support is pretty much a done deal.

Comment

Excellent news, i hate gnome, QT ain't perfect, but it's better than Gnome aka the toolkit for mobiles nobody want

Comment

Fonts rendering was broken with GTK 3, not after. Both GTK 3 and 4 use Pango and Harfbuzz.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

Hm... would that mean Firefox starts to have the terrible font rendering of GTK4? Or are they using their own font renderer?
                  Because if "yes", I'd prefer them to stay forever on GTK3 or switch to Qt.
                  I don't know, I think Firefox mostly uses GTK for the application window to have a window display on the screen, but then they don't really use GTK much, I think they mostly use GTK to bootstrap their application then use HTML and CSS to render their own widgets.

Comment

I don't know, I think Firefox mostly uses GTK for the application window to have a window display on the screen, but then they don't really use GTK much, I think they mostly use GTK to bootstrap their application then use HTML and CSS to render their own widgets.
                    I was under the impression Firefox was not using GTK anymore (anywhere!).

But if they do, i hope they'll change to Qt...

Comment

Working...
                    X